14 → "INSERTION"

14 → "INSERTION"

March, 2148.

THE DAY OF INSERTION.

Adeline sat huddled up in the corner of a closet full of cleaning supplies. She couldn't take waiting in silence for Alby, Newt and Minho to be taken away to be sent in the Maze. She had yet to even say goodbye to the girls of Group B. Not like they would even let her, though. Victoria was still mad at her, as was Adeline. Staring at the light shining underneath the door, Adeline pulled her knees to her chest. After today, none of her friends except for Thomas, Teresa and Matt and Victoria would remember her. And she couldn't take that. Growing close to all of them only for them to be ripped away from her. They'd all forgotten their real names since they'd gotten here, but they did remember their childhood and their family. Adeline peered down at her watch. It was nearing 11:00 am and Adeline knew that once the new hour hit she'd never see her friends again face to face until she'd go up herself. It was 10:56 am now, and Adeline knew if she didn't get out of this closet she won't get to see them again. After today they won't remember her, nor their friends, family or childhood. Newt won't remember how close they both were since they'd met nearly 5 years ago. And she really liked Newt. Adeline got to her feet, racing towards the door. She flung it open and ran down the halls of the WICKED building until she found the barracks, flinging open the dorm room the boys shared. Once the door opened she scanned the room only to find that Alby and Newt were missing. Minho, Thomas and Teresa looked up, tears swelling in Adeline's eyes.

"You're too late." Minho said. "He's gone."

Adeline felt like someone had ripped her heart from her chest. In a brief moment of decision, she backed away, racing out of the room and back down the halls. She ran and ran, down the halls leading towards where she knew the surgery would take place. She had to say goodbye to Newt. Her feet ached, but she didn't stop. She skidded to a stop when she noticed the familiar blonde hair and lean body of Newt, oblivious to her standing at the end of the hall. He was halfway to the surgery room when Adeline called out his name.

"Newt!" She called. Newt turned around, his eyes landing on her. She took off in a sprint, almost jumping into his arms as she threw her arms around his neck. Newt stumbled backwards slightly, then caught his balance wrapping his arms around her back. They didn't say anything; just stayed in each others embrace, the guard growing impatient.

"I wish you can remember me." she whispered into his ear. "I wish you didn't have to have your memory wiped."

"I know." he breathed. "Me too."

"It's unfair." Adeline muttered. "It's completely unfair. We don't even remember our real names because they took them from us. They're gonna take everything from us."

Adeline was now in tears, yearning for Newt to stay although she knew he couldn't. He was going up into that Maze, and she couldn't stop it.

"I need you to promise me something." he whispered, so only she could hear. "I want you to promise me that even though I'm going to lose my memory, that you will hold on. Do what they want you to do. We will reunite soon, no matter how long it takes and even if we won't remember each other."

Newt wiped the tears away from her cheeks and released her. Newt walked away.

Matt and Adeline sat in the observation room together, watching the screens, waiting for the sign that both groups were now in their Mazes. Adeline kept replaying the goodbye with Newt over and over, and it was hard to face her friends when she'd entered the room. Matt had been quiet since she'd entered the room and they were given the chance to head to the observation room. Matt just sat there, staring at the screens.

"You okay?" Adeline asked, placing a hand on his shoulder.

"Yeah." Matt nodded. "But it should be me who should be asking you that question. So, are you okay?"

Adeline shrugged. "Just feel like things are falling apart lately. Victoria is mad at me and our friends are going up into the Maze today."

"Victoria will come around." Matt reassured. "Don't worry."

"I hope so."

On the screens, Adeline found that while they'd been talking, the boys of Group A and the girls of Group B were wondering around the courtyard of their new homes curiously. Most avoided one another, some looked around. Some stared at the closed Maze doors. It was a strange idea that they were strangers to one another now; this morning they were all best friends. Adeline couldn't fathom the idea that one day she wouldn't remember them, too.