13 → "THE TRUTH"

13 "THE TRUTH"

March, 2148.

IT WAS THE DAY before the insertion, and the girls had their last medical examinations that morning. Adeline stood across from the girls who stood in line, alongside Aris and Rachel, the girls of Group B lined up along the wall. She wasn't getting a medical examination herself, she was only there for moral support, as was Aris and Rachel.It's been two days since she'd seen her friends of Group A, since she told them that Matt and herself weren't yet going up into the Maze. She had yet to tell the girls that's she wasn't going up with them, and wasn't sure on how they would react. As she waited, she had been talking telepathically to Matt, who was also waiting for Group A to have their medical examinations. As Adeline stood in line, there was no Victoria. She had been taken somewhere before the girls were taken to get their medical examinations, but hadn't been told where she was going. Adeline wondered why they needed her the time of their medical examinations. Beside her, Aris and Rachel stood quietly beside her, their faces expressionless, while the girls waited in silence. Adeline met some of the girls gazes, most were expressionless but some appeared to be on edge about the insertion. Sonya appeared to be one of the girls who was uneasy about the idea of going up into the Maze; it was the fact she was fidgeting with her fingers and tapping her feet. Adeline moved towards her.

"Don't be nervous." Adeline reassured. "You'll be okay. Just do what they say."

Sonya gave her a questionable look. "Aren't you nervous about going up?"

Adeline's heart dropped in her stomach. Adeline started stuttering out half words, attempting to find the right words to explain that she wasn't going up yet into the Maze with them. "Um, well —" But Adeline was cut off when someone stopped beside her, beating her to it.

"No." Adeline craned her neck to find Victoria. "Adeline isn't going up with you guys. And neither am I. Well, not yet, anyway."

Girls who were standing nearby gasped in shock at the news. Adeline racked her mind for a way to reassure them that she had no decision making in that idea, but girls had started questioning her.

"So you've been put into our group but you're not even going up?" This came from a girl who she remembered introducing herself as Esther. After a few more girls butt in, Adeline was able to defend herself.

"No." Adeline defended herself. "I'm going up, just not with you guys tomorrow. I will go up, don't put words in my mouth."

"So when were you going to tell us?" Harriet quizzed. "Or were you not going to tell us?"

"I was going to tell you but I didn't know how." Adeline said. "There was no way I wasn't going to tell you guys. I wouldn't do that to you guys."

"Well you told us the day before we go up so it seems you never were going to tell us." Miyoko said, five girls down from where Adeline was standing.

"I know, I should've —"

"Adeline, just be quiet." Harriet snapped. "Don't say anything else."

Adeline was taken back by Harriet's outburst. She stood there, arms swaying at her sides. Sighing, defeated, Adeline turned to head back beside Aris, when she almost bumped into Victoria. Victoria stood before her, hair pulled back into a braid down her back. Her big round brown eyes stared back at her, Victoria obviously livid at her.

"We need to talk." Adeline muttered. "Now."

Adeline dragged her by the wrist until they were out of eyesight and earshot. Once they were, Adeline turned to her best friend, who's face still held the same expression.

"How the hell did you know I wasn't going up into that Maze yet?" Adeline snapped. "Who told you?"

"I was told by the Chancellor." Victoria snapped back. "He told me after reassuring me that you weren't going up yet. Said 'don't worry, your best friend isn't going up yet. You're not the only one from your group that isn't being sent up into the Maze tomorrow.' Aris and Rachel aren't going up either, if you didn't know. I just can't believe you didn't tell me. Some best friend you are."

"Don't make me out as the bad guy." Adeline yelled. "I was going to tell you, but I had no idea how to tell you!"

"Yeah, well you can tell your friends of Group A that you're not going up yet but not us – the girls from your group. The ones you see more than your little friends from those group of boys." Victoria sneered.

"What? How'd —"

"I followed you into the air ducts." Victoria answered. "You're always disappearing into those air ducts at night. I got sick of wondering what the hell you're doing at midnight. So I followed you. You're lucky you haven't been caught."

Adeline was gobsmacked. She didn't know what to say next.

"What? Cat got your tongue?" Victoria sneered. "I thought you were my friend, Adeline. I guess I thought you more of my best friend than you thought of me."

And just like that, Victoria stormed off, leaving Adeline standing there in the hallway, alone, watching her storm off.