5- Thranduil

Rayne P.O.V
I sat on the terrace of the room Legolas and I shared working on embroidering a handkerchief. It had been a month since I had come to live here in Mirkwood. I hear a knock on the room door.

"Come in," I said.

The door opened and King Thranduil walked in.

"My king." I was about to get up to greet him when he just shook his head.

"How are you Rayne?" He asked. "How are you adjusting to life in Mirkwood?"

"It's going smoothly thanks to Legolas," I tell him.

"May I take a seat?"

"Of course." I was a bit surprised that he'd even ask me that question. I mean, he is the king. He doesn't ask for respect, he commands it.

He just looked at me as I continued my embroidery. I was fully aware of his gaze but couldn't bring myself to say anything.

"Legolas is in a meeting with the guard at this moment if I am not mistaken," he spoke.

"I do believe so. They're discussing their attack options to eliminate the spiders from the forest."

"And I'm guessing you'd like to join in the fight?" He casually said.

"That would be nice."

"I have a feeling you're asking my permission, well my answer is a no. I need you to help me plan the festival of the starlight."

"It's would be an honor King Thranduil."

"Thranduil, just Thranduil. You are my son's betrothed after all. Why don't we take this opportunity with the festival to get to know each other? You seem like a charming young lady."

"Thank you, Thranduil."

He smiled. "If it's not too much of a bother I would like you to join me for a walk tomorrow morning before breakfast."

With that he stood up and left. I sat there as the sun set finishing up my handkerchief. I lost track of how many hours had past until I hear the door open again. This time it was Legolas.

"How was the meeting?" I asked him. Even without turning to look at him I could sense it was him.

He groaned in frustration. "We leave tomorrow early in the morning. There was a slight problem with the guard over who should go. My usual task force won't be able to go. We are short people for this mission. The only comfort in this is that at least you will be joining me."

"Legolas, your father said that I should stay here and help him plan the new year feast," I carefully say as I look at him.

He ran his fingers through his hair. "What am I going to do? I can't leave you alone."

"Legolas, I won't be alone. The castle is full of people, and your father has put me in charge of the new year feast. I will be fine," I tried to reassure him.

"I hope you are right, I'm going to prepare for tomorrow's journey."

After I finished my handkerchief I decided to do some reading and picked up a book.

Legolas notified me that it was time for dinner as I had lost track of time. It was a silent walk to the dinning hall. Legolas and I did not speak. Then at the dinner table, Thranduil and Legolas discussed battle tactics and how long it would take.

"We'll be back by the end of this week, we will be here for the feast of the starlight," he reassured Thranduil.

I went back to our room first as Legolas had some last minute details to attend to. There wasn't much to do so I decided to take a long soak in the big tub in the bathroom.