Rule #20: Remember life isn't fair, but it's good.

Alexa nervously looked from Bryson to the forms attached to the clipboard in her hand. They'd just sat down in the waiting area at Dr. Purcell's, an hour early for their appointment.

Bryson had handed over the paperwork for her to fill out as he did some work stuff on his phone. She filled out as much as she could, until it came to the information about him; family and personal history, and she nudged his knee with hers, his eyes snapping up immediately.

"What's up?" He asked curiously, sighing as she shoved the clipboard into his hands. Eyeing the pen in her hand with contempt, he took it slowly and started writing in the neatest handwriting she'd ever seen any man use.

"Wow you have nice penmanship" she said softly, keeping her voice low.

The smirk he gave her made her giggle and then look around, not wanting to ruffle any feathers in this uber fancy place with its soft velveteen coffee colored sofas, pale gray walls, mirrored coffee and side tables and recessed lighting, soft jazz coming from hidden speakers.

"Thanks. My first foster mom was a teacher. She made sure we all wrote legibly. One of the kids she adopted became a Doctor. And to this day, she still writes pretty nicely."

He reviewed the information before handing her the pen back and returning the paperwork to the receptionist behind the white glossy half circle desk. Alexa watched as he leaned his forearms on the counter, the action causing the navy sweater he wore to stretch across his chest and shoulders, the receptionist drinking him in unabashedly. Her first glance had been to the paperwork, then his left hand and then up to his face, her baby blue eyes sparkling with interest.

Bryson smiled and nodded as the receptionist spoke, casually shoving the sleeves of his sweater up to his elbow as he straightened. The sight of his tattooed forearms had her blushing, a hand going up to play with her golden pale hair. Alexa watched in annoyance as he nodded one more time and shoved off the counter gracefully, rolling his eyes as he made his way towards her.

She lifted a questioning brow at him and he shrugged, dropping into the seat next to hers before leaning down to dig into her bag for his book.

"You were flirting Bryson..." she said with a mock gasp and a laugh. But Bryson's face was stone as he lowered his book and looked at her icily.

"No I wasn't. First, my fiancée is right here and second even if you weren't, I still wouldn't. Third, she's not even my type." He went back to his book, leaning his forearm on the armrest between them, Alexa feeling thoroughly reprimanded. When her name was called 30 minutes later, he calmly followed her to the waiting nurse, carrying her bag and his jacket
in one hand, the other holding her left hand.

He made it a point to make eye contact with the receptionist, who blanched when she saw them.
"My name is Sarah and I'll be your nurse. We do things a little differently here and since it's your first visit, I'll be around to answer any questions and lead the way. We're going to do the standard testing here and then we'll pull you through to the ultrasound, ok? Sit tight. Daddy, you can sit right over there. We'll be done in no time." Sarah motioned further down the hallway to a small waiting area with colorful blue furniture, where several partners and friends waited.

Inside the nurse's area, Alexa was weighed, measured and all her vitals taken before she was escorted by Sarah to the hallway.

"Sarah? I really need to pee" Alexa commented with an embarrassed laugh, as Sarah scribbled something on her chart and they started walking towards Bryson. Sarah smiled and nodded.