Prologue: Chapter Two

Shae's dark hair was being combed into a tight bun as she entertained herself, looking out at the window sill, where the usual yellow canary hopped around, eating leftover bread crumbs that the maid put out on Princess Shae's instructions.

She wondered how much she would miss this place. Fear crept into her heart as she tried to imagine the other kingdom's palace. She wouldn't know anyone there except for the two maids she was going to bring, Shelle and Andrea. They were with her right now.

 "Your Highness, Shae," The maid prompted Shae to look towards the bathroom, putting her thoughts off track. Apparently, her bath was ready. 

Shae entered the bathroom. The usual marble tub was there, with rose petals lying on a layer of soap foam. Taking off the towel wrapped around her, she slid into the tub and immersed herself into the water.

The memories of the previous night kept flowing back. Insecurity wrapped her.

She forced herself to keep her eyes shut. Suddenly, she didn't feel the need to get up. Shae felt like staying in the warm, pleasant water forever. 

"What are you thinking, Shae." She thought to herself. She attempted to get out, but her arms failed her as they slid against and against the slippery marble bottom. Panicked and thrashing, she let out her breath. 

Familiar hands grabbed hers at each side, pulling her to sit up. Shae gasped for breath and opened her eyes. As her blurred vision cleared, she saw that both maids' faces were pale, yet their eyes tinted red. 

"Please don't, your highness Shae. You can't!" The maid knelt down, her tears drawing dots on the flooring.

"I wasn't." Shae asserted quickly. "I'm done bathing, get me a towel. I want to wear my gown now."

*

A maid was drying her hair with heated towels.

"Please raise your hands up, your highness Shae." The other maid came in, holding golden fabric on a tray.

Shae bit her lip as she exhaled. The maids sat her on a chair before fitting the gown from her feet. She then stood up as a maid arranged her gown and the other applied powder to her already light face (and neck), causing a near pale complexion. 

The maid left Shae's already defined eyebrows alone, heading straight to the eyes. She dusted the lids with golden glimmer, blending it in with a touch of matt yellow which complimented with her startling blue irises. Applying black ink onto the rims of the lids, waterline and lashes, she darkened her look. She finished off with a matt, light red lip colour. Once she was done, she heaved the long mirror into Shae's sight.

They parted, so as to not block her view. Then, they proceeded to tie her hair into a neat bun, before putting on a bun net and several layers of hair nets. Her gold crown, which had a diamond shaped silver piece embedded in it, was placed gently on her head.

Shae tried to move.  Her chiffon gown was sleeved and v-necked. It streamed all the way down, ending at her toes elegantly. 

"My shoes." Shae muttered tonelessly.

Heeding her demand, the maids placed a pair of black court shoes on the floor, before lifting up her feet gently to fit them on.

There was silence as Shae was left staring at the mirror.

The floor remained unstained.

She gracefully drifted out of the room.

You've finished reading Chapter Two of What She Did. An edit that I made was to the second sentence from the bottom.

Even though it was meant to describe how the situation was, IT STILL SEEMED weird (Also sort of pointed out in two comments by readers) so I changed it into the current one. The current one actually means that she didn't cry incase it wasn't guessed.

So hey, its worth it to read the ending notes, right? 

Votes and comments are very welcome but only if you want to! Thanks in advance :)