Prologue: Chapter One

Hi there, thanks for clicking on the story! Just some stuff I would like you to take note; Prologue is as in the background story (I have no idea why the background story is 7 parts and the "full" story is 7 parts too (sequel planned [this Author's note is written as of 10:38pm, 1st June 2012]) but don't let it get to you too much! 

Shae stared into space for awhile, trying to comprehend the words her twin sister just uttered. Then threw off her covers, sitting up so quick she nearly hit her head on the ceiling. 

"Coleka," She said, her voice pleading. "Please tell me you're joking."

"No I'm not." Coleka's voice rang out from the darkness, seemingly suffocated.

Shae jumped down from her upper bunk to the ground. Anger pulsed through her head as she lit the candle on the bedside, illuminating the room. 

Coleka's face was finally visible. She was still lying underneath her sheets, as if what she had just said was nothing. She was unconcerned.

"Do you know what you're doing?" Shae grabbed Coleka by her shoulders, shaking her. "Are you trying to cause a war?"

Coleka's sleeve ripped, revealing unblemished skin.

"You- Your mark. Whe- WHAT?"

Coleka looked away.

"You're already engaged to the prince of the kingdom that we're already at bad terms with," Shae put in effort to control her volume.

Coleka simply sniffed, before staring into Shae's eyes with a defiant look.

"Coleka! If the other country knows your Mark has already disappeared when you're sent there, they'll start war again!"

"I love him," Coleka enunciated, a tear sliding down her left cheek. Shae could see the candlelight dancing in her eyes. 

Shae had already read enough history to know what was going to happen. She walked towards the candle, hoping to blow out its light quick enough.

"Please."

Shae paused before another step. Then she continued to take steps towards the candle.

"Shae, please!"

Before she knew it, Coleka was weeping away at full force, her arms around one of Shae's legs. Shae took a glance at her face. It was written with guilt.

"You know you have to." Coleka loosened her grip.

Shae could feel her eyes searing and a certain acidic sting of disgust at the back of her throat 

"You're disgusting, Coleka. Disgusting." Shae saw her own reflection on the mirror; her eyes already red. "You did that on purpose."

Jerking her leg, she blew off the candlelight. She climbed the ladder back up to her bunk, her tears steadily flowing onto her pillow that was getting damper by the second. Her earlier sleepiness had already been a thing of the past. Her eyes were wide open. 

She had to replace her sister, to marry into that Kingdom, like a sacrifice for their country's peace. To save her people. Her country was already wrecked by a recent war, which was only dissolved by having the first princess from their kingdom marry into the other kingdom.

Her sister, had already done that thing with another guy she claimed to love, to make her mark fade into her skin.

Shae wiped away the tears on her face. It was her last night before she went to her betrothed's land. 

She willed all her strength to fall asleep.

*

Shae was getting dressed into a light yellow dress just as the maids came in to wake them up. She gave them her usual weak smile to tell them it was okay not to greet her.

"Don't wake her up. Even though she has to prepare for her journey. Inform the King I will be visiting shortly." Shae cut in. Then, she went through the open door, heading towards the Royal Dining Hall, which she was sure he and the Queen would be at.

Shae found herself walking faster and faster down the familiar walls, before it developed into a full-fledged run. She flung open the Dining Room's door breathlessly, and tried to pace herself as she headed towards her parents. Her vision shook left-right-centre. 

She tried to blink back her tears, but it all came pouring out as she explained what Coleka had done and what she herself was going to do.

How's that for the starting? Do vote and comment if you want to! :) Thanks in advance.