---18---

I had managed to get out of telling Catherine what had happened, as if luck was on my side, Mr Charlton, the man who Catherine had been paired with in croquet and danced with at the ball had bumped into us and taken her away, promising to bring her home later in the day, this of course was brilliant news to me. Since then, I had made every effort to avoid her, it wasn't that I didn't want to tell her, I just wasn't sure how to' or what would happen to me if she decided not to keep it a secret. Thinking it she'd probably call me mad and I'd end up in a mental asylum, maybe that's something I could do whilst I was here, try and get people to understand metal illness and stop labelling everything as madness.

Then again, if the future hadn't been changed already, that would definitely change it so maybe I shouldn't do anything. It was starting to get complicated when it came to deciding what I should and shouldn't do with myself. The same way that it was becoming increasingly difficult to ignore that the second ripper murder was scheduled for two days time. I was both glad I studied history in school but also mad at myself, it would of made life easier to be blissfully unaware.

I turned round a corner and continued my way to the kitchen only to find Mr Ridley stood outside with an uncertain look on his face, he was yet to see me, I watched him as he shook his head and turned to walk in the other direction.

"Mr Ridley." I stood still, with my hands clasped in front of me, he paused and turned to look at me, I would go as far as to say he looked panicked. "Who were you waiting for?" I continued, he ran his fingers through his hair before standing taller with his arms behind his back.

"You, actually." He moved towards me, straightening out his coat as he walked. " I wanted to talk to you."

I really hope he was about to apologise for whatever it was that happened with the politicians. "About?"

" Lady Catherine."

Never mind about Catherine, wheres my apology?

"What about Catherine?" I chose to say instead.

"Well more so about George."

"Sorry who?" I looked at him confused.

"George Charlton, the one she played croquet with." He sighed. "Keep up Abigail."

"Alright sorry, Geez." I said quietly.

"Excuse me?" He frowned. " What did you just say?"

"Nothing Mr Ridley."

"I told you to call me William."

I looked at him but said nothing, I wanted to flip him off, or roll my eyes and leave him too it, but I was still getting used to the fact that women in 1888 had only just got the right to vote, let alone the right to act however she may want to act.

"So what did you want to know about George or Catherine?" He looked at me for a few moments, almost as if he was taking the time to get over the fact that I had ignored his previous statement.

"He would like to court her, do you know what she thinks of him?"

"Not really." We hadn't talked about it since the night after the ball, so I assumed he was out of the picture, I guess not.

"Well can you go and find out?" He asked.

"Do I have a choice?"

He looked at me questionably.

"Well I would like you too." He said

I sighed and turned around walking back the way I came. "I'll come and find you when I know the answer."

Less than an hour later I had found Catherine in the gardens, I sighed deeply before approaching her, bracing myself for whatever she would say.

"Hello Catherine."

"Ah there you are." She smiled. "I hope you don't think you've gotten out of answering my questions." I laughed awkwardly in response.

"I've actually been sent to find out some information."

"About what?"

"You and Mr Charlton." A smile burst across her face at the sound of his name.

"Me and George?"

"Yes, what would you say if he asked to court you?"

"Does he want to court me?" She gasped and walked quickly towards me. "Abigail, how do you know this?"

"Mr Ridley asked me to ask you." I smiled and took her hands in my own.

"Oh we have to go and find him and ask him everything he knows!" She pulled me back inside the palace, she was gasping and grinning back at me as she pulled me through the palace. "Where is he?"

"He was down by the kitchens when he asked me." I said, trying my hardest to keep up.

"Really? I wouldn't have thought of Mr Ridley to be the type of man to spend time anywhere near the kitchens." She giggled lightly, I had to stop myself from cackling.

When we got down to the kitchen, I saw Mr Ridley pacing back and forth, he looked up with eyes wide when he saw us approaching, no doubt startled by the grin on Catherine's face.

"Tell me everything Mr Ridley!"

He sighed, "Abigail, when I said ask her I meant to do so discretely." He shook his head at me before turning his attention to a bubbling Catherine. I giggled watching them.

"I'll leave you to it." I said smiling and pushing open the kitchen door. Mr Ridley and Catherine began walking back upstairs, he looked back at me, and shook his head again. This time he was smiling.

I felt something, that I could only describe as a glow erupt from inside of me, it was his smile. It was a smile that was too good for a man that was as grumpy as he was. There was something about Mr Ridley, that I was beginning to take a shine to, and I wasn't quite sure how I felt about that.

A/N:

word count: 986

Not that I ever update on time, but next weeks update will be later than my update day (My update day is supposed to be Thursday.) Anyway, I hope you like this chapter!

I will edit it when I come round to editing the book so sorry if there are any mistakes! Please enjoy!

-Lu