Chapter 2: Finding a home (rewritten)

I paced back and forth in the corridor, the grandfather clock chiming loudly as it struck 11 am, I didn't know who to expect when they eventually called me in, however, the interior of the palace and the people gave me a good inclination.

I lent against the wall and pondered over everything that had happened thus far, I don't think it had quite sunk in yet, how completely and unbearably stuck I am, here, wherever here happened to be. I don't think its completely sunk in because I haven't cried, and I haven't really panicked. I came to the conclusion that I was still in a state of shock and decided to watch some of the men at the other end of the corridor.

They were talking amongst each other and barely noticed me or any other woman that came their way, maids and women who appeared of higher status were included. One woman, in particular, caught my eye, and clearly, I caught hers for once she spotted me she did not look away, even after I made eye contact. I know this meant her social status was high, but I wanted to know how high, and what I'd done to grab her attention.

She walked into the room I was waiting in front of and turned to watch me as the door closed behind her, her eyes sent a shiver down my spine like she knew things about me that I didn't even know myself, and it scared me to appear so vulnerable to a stranger. I rubbed my hands together and continued to wait for my cue.

Eventually, it came and the doors opened again, I stood up straight and rolled my shoulders back so as to assume a professional position before walking into the room, it wasn't what I expected. It wasn't a throne room either, it was almost like a very fancy lounge. The window drapes were red and flowery and I could see the dust elevating in the late morning light as it crept through the windows. There was a large Agra rug in the centre of the room. the walls were covered in books and as the door closed, I realised they were there too. The whole room had a grace about it that I'd only ever felt when I was inside national trust houses, except I was part of the past, part of the story now, rather than looking in on it from the future.

The chairs were occupied by men and woman alike, accept there was one who stood out amongst them all, she was the face of a monarch known for immense reign and her immense grieving. Queen Victoria. She looked a bit different from the pictures I'd seen of her but you could tell the woman in the pictures and the woman in front of me were one and the same. Her eyes were sad, I don't recall ever meeting someone with eyes like hers, they were like pools of grief encased in glass, I watched her and she watched me in silence. She sat with the intimidating lady from the hallway and I wondered what exactly I'd been brought here for. They looked at me expectantly, and I'm sure I must have looked very confused because I felt it, I stumbled slightly and curtsied, assuming that's what you do to royalty, they all seemed satisfied.

"This is the woman I found whilst I was on my way here, your Majesty." The intimidating woman spoke, she had thick tendrils of blonde hair and her eyes were a mesmerising blue , the thing was I couldn't remember meeting her before now.

"She was near passing out when I found her." The woman continued when nobody spoke, as if she needed to reiterate that I had been found by her, instead of bringing myself here. I rubbed my hands together and fiddled with my fingers.

"Where's the maid we sent to care for her this morning?" The queen finally responded. "Bring her to me." The door opened and shut behind me and I had to force myself not to turn around and look.

"You can sit dear." The queen looked at me and a soft smile spread across her face as she tried to make me comfortable
I shuffled over and sat in the chair opposite them, no more relaxed than I was when I was standing, if anything it took more effort to keep my back straight and was, in fact, less comfortable as a result, but I still hadn't been able to find my words to tell them anything about me, or to ask them anything about them. I knew why I had an intense fear that if I opened my mouth I'd say something that would give me away instantly and I simply knew that I couldn't risk it, I didn't know what the outcome would be if they discovered who I really was.