---6---

It was the morning of the memorial birthday ball. I was stood in the doorway of the kitchen, watching everyone rushing around to prepare everything. I was trying incredibly hard not to get in the way but it was becoming increasingly difficult. I folded my arms, wrapping my shawl tighter around myself, the hallways were cold in comparison to the steaming kitchen but I refused to get in the way.

"Oh, hello Lady Abigail, what brings you here?" Ruth questioned me with a bright smile on her face and a few wine glasses in her hands.

"I just came to watch Ruth." I answered honestly, my eyes following people around the kitchen.

"I see, are you excited for the ball?" I nodded.

"Yes, I am." I smiled at her. "Lady Catherine told me that it's a good opportunity to look for a husband." I rolled my eyes, blushing a little when Ruth started giggling.

"You aren't particularly fond of the customs here at the palace are you?" I said nothing but I could feel a small smile spread across my face. She giggled again.

"If you'll excuse me Lady Abigail, I have a job to do, but enjoy tonight."

I stayed at the doorway for a while after she left but eventually I walked back upstairs, shutting the door to the servants wing and taking a deep breath from the effort it took to climb the stairs.

"Why were you down there?"

A familiar deep voice questioned me, I turned to look at him, his eyebrow was raised.

"Can a girl not just go downstairs, no questions asked?" I challenged, I was really starting to dislike this man.

"Not to the servants wing she can't, they come upstairs to us, not the other way around."

"Well I find them to be quite good company." I said plainly, walking past him, he grabbed my arm.

"Are we not good company, am...I not good company?" He paused, watching me intently, I watched him as his eyes flicked over my face, waiting for my response. I tore my arm out of his grip.

"Marvellous company." I then turned, walking down the corridor, he infuriated me, but also intrigued me.

+

Catherine was dressed and ready for the ball. She stood in front of my wardrobe, wearing a lilac dress with ruffles around her shoulders, it slimmed in again at bodice and then went into a full skirt covered in ruffles that continued down to the floor. She had insisted on choosing my dress and hair, reasoning that it would help me find a husband. I had told her many times that I didn't want to marry but she continued to try so I'd given up on fighting her about it. So here I am, sat on my bed letting her choose my appearance for the night.

"What about this one?" She held up a yellow dress, it was slim all the way down and wrapped around the ankles. I shook my head.

"I'd look like a fish out of water, I wouldn't be able to walk properly Lady Catherine!" I giggled at the thought of it, she soon joined in, putting the dress back in the wardrobe and looking for another one.

"Ooh what about this one?" She pulled out an ivory dress speckled with gold, the bodice was lace and covered in  embroidered gold leaves, the lace continued onto the short sleeves of the dress, the sleeves would hang loosely over the wearers shoulders.

"It's beautiful, but I could never do it justice." I sighed, standing up to touch the skirt. "We best look for another."

"Nonsense, you'll look wonderful I promise." I smiled and she passed me the dress so that she could tighten my corset. I then put the dress over my head and once it was on the full skirt fell to the floor, Lady Catherine tied it shut and lead me to the dressing table to do my hair.