Chapter 3: Dinner (rewritten)

Margret was back in my room showing me dress after dress for this dinner tonight, there were so many possibilities that the thought of deciding was a little overwhelming. Eventually, Margret brought my attention to a red dress and before I could make up my mind she was insisting that it was the one I should wear. When I eventually got to see it on, I was pleasantly surprised.  The red dress had an en coeur neckline that draped pleasantly over my shoulders, it was then sinched in at the waist to accommodate the waistline created by the corset,  and then the skirt cascaded down over layers of petticoats that hung loosely around my legs, making it easy to walk with all the extra weight. It was pretty, really pretty, almost too pretty. 

It was if I was simply a mannequin displaying the dress for all to see, I swayed in the mirror watching as the skirt glided through the air as if it was part of a separate dimension. Margret rushed me to the dressing table, mumbling something about time, I was knocked out of my trance and soon my head was being prodded and pricked by different hair grips. 

When I was eventually ready, Margret bustled me out the room, it was as if time moved too quickly for this woman and everything she did had to be done a little faster in order to keep up with it. 

"You just keep on walking down that hall miss, you'll find the dining hall." 

I looked back at her with uncertainty, as if I was being pushed out of the nest too young. Eventually, I turned my head forward and I was introduced to a small crowd of people entering a room, the dining hall. It seemed that everyone was waiting, I assumed they were waiting for Victoria. There were other women in this small crowd, each wearing a dress as extravagant, if not more extravagant than my own. I felt out of place, I was out of place. These women latched onto their husbands' arms as they laughed and whispered among each other. I pretended not to hear them but I knew it was I that was the topic of their conversation.  This fact was only solidified when Lady Catherine joined the party. The wives arms unraveled from their husbands' grip and I could feel their eyes on me as the gossips needlessly about the queens strange new guest, a woman of nothing yet here she was, standing amongst the rich as if she was one of them, a phony, a fraud. 

I held my head high as the group filed into the dining hall, and I held it even higher when the queen requested I sit at her side, she whispered that it would be easier for me to check for food in her teeth and crumbs on her clothes if I was next to her. I could see the scattered eyes peering over at me as I took my first sips of the Chicken soup and the tension wrapped around my throat and choked me until I perished, which was, unfortunately, not yet. 

Lady Catherine eyed me carefully and I could see her analysing my every move, the attention of some of the others had dropped off of me by now, probably realising that there really wasn't anything particularly special about me, to their knowledge anyway, Catherine, however, continued to stare and glance and examine me for the rest of the starter, until there was a knock at the door. 

The Queen nodded to the butler as the servants meandered around the guests to get the empty soup bowls, I wanted to help them, but the intrigue of who could be behind the door was far too overwhelming to ignore. 

 The butler pulled open the large wooden door to reveal a tall man, of much likeness to the man sat opposite me at the table. 

"I do apologise for my tardiness your majesty," He bowed ever so slightly and handed his coat and hat to the butler, in doing so he revealed unruly locks of dark hair and the furrowed brow of a thinker. His harsh glance trickled over the table of faces like a farmer planting his seeds, slowly and with precision. It wasn't long until they landed on me the green in them contrasted greatly from his pale skin and dark her. I couldn't bring myself to smile, in fact, I looked away, the scrutiny of his glare was enough to make any man plead guilty. 

"It's truly no worry Mr. Ridley, there's a seat next to your father since he assured your attendance." The Queen stated, her tone was clipped and short but I could tell these two had known each other for some time, for the familiarity in their conversation was evident for all to see. 

"Yes, thank you."

When the man sat down, he and the man named as his father exchanged some harsh words before being their attention back to us. The main course arrived but I couldn't help but examine this man, the same way I hated Lady Catherine examining me. 

I realised he had noticed my staring when he looked at me again, I suddenly felt very hot and became extremely grateful when the distraction of the main course was placed in front of me. Except dinner didn't distract him, he ate with his eyes on me, like he was deliberately trying to intimidate me. 

 I picked at the roasted parsnips on the plate and avoided his eye for as long as I could manage before glancing up again, he was still staring. 

"So how did you find yourself here?" I turned my head slightly to find the father of the strange man looking at me expectantly. 

"Oh, it's really not that interesting." I smiled softly and moved the food around the plate, to my dismay others had dropped in on the conversation and now my answer was being waited on. 

"Do tell us." His soon continued, his voice was deep and raspy and it irritated my ears like chalk on a blackboard.

"I was taken from my home and now I don't know how to get back." I sighed and watched as they all glanced away, the topic growing increasingly dark the more they thought about it. 

"I shall help you find your way home." Victoria gently whispered to me, only trouble is, at this point I didn't know if there was even a home to go back to, my presence here had already altered the future in more ways than I could imagine and there was both a pang of guilt and sadness at all the lives I had changed forever, yet I found solace in the knowledge that they wouldn't know what they'd had before. 

Authors note:

Word count: 1288

I added a cast of who I see as the characters, obviously you may disagree with who I chose for the roles so do not feel obliged to see the characters how I do! I hope you enjoy this chapter!!

-Lucy :)

authors note: 

Word count: 1139

SORRY THAT THIS IS LATE MY FRIENDS!!!

Hope you enjoy

-Lucyyyyy