Chapter 2 - Will

Auburn Collins in all her nerdy glory

Chapter song - Counting Crows 'Mr. Jones'

***

Chapter 2 - Will

Why did my mother have to invite a bunch of people over tonight? I'm not in the mood for people; especially a bunch of kids – even if they are around my age - which apparently there's quite a few of.

"Hey lazy-ass, downstairs now, everybody's here" Milo – my older brother – shouts from outside my closed door.

"Yeah, yeah, don't get your panties in a bunch" I shout back. I open my door and he's standing in the doorway blocking my path "You gonna move or what?" I ask with a raised brow

"I don't know. Let's get Park and escape through the window. I am not in the mood for people tonight" Park being my brother's best friend and she also happens to be the girl that he's madly in-love with since...forever.

"Remind me again why we didn't just go to the movies or something?" I say as he finally moves out of the way and starts walking towards the stairs "Oh wait, you just couldn't come up with an excuse fast enough" I say dryly

"Yeah blame your big bro, nothing personal" he says mockingly clutching his heart, like I actually hurt his feelings. Scoff

We get to the living room and see Park and go stand next her. I notice for the first time that she really does look small between me and Milo. Then again my brother and I are kind of big. Like 6'2, two hundred plus pound of football player, whereas Park is 5'4 and probably hundred and ten pound. But don't let the size fool you.

"Look who decided graced us with his presence" Crowe – my brother's second best friend. Or in a way also his first, since Park's a girl, and well he's very much guy - says walking in from the patio and giving me a slap on the back. "Since we're all here I assume, let's get started"

"With what exactly?" Milo asks cautiously

"The introductions you dumb-ass" Crowe answers. What he doesn't know is that the people that moved in next door already had dinner with us once this week, and he just wasn't here.

"Hhmm? Sorry sweetheart I ain't following" Randy says. She and her brother moved in with their dad last week. I now actually only realize how many people are in the room. Like seven other kids. Three guys and four girls. But only one of them really catches my eye, a real tiny girl, like small, no jokes. She's looking down at her phone, and I can't see her face because it's curtained by jet-black hair much like my own. She's probably Park's height, but she's petite. She's wearing dark blue jeans that are rolled around at her ankles, sneakers and an oversized sweat shirt that reads: "I never received my acceptance letter from Hogwarts, so I'm leaving the Shire to become a Jedi" Which earns a small chuckle to escape my lips. I quickly recover by asking "Yeah bro, not following either" and hear Park grunt next to me and say "Okay people, listen up, sit on your pretty little asses so we can introduce ourselves" which receives a bunch of oh's from everybody. Hogwarts girl still hasn't looked up yet, but the dude next to her – the really big guy I might add – puts a hand on her shoulder and whispers something in her ear, she suddenly looks up startled. I recognize her from earlier today when Park, Crowe and Milo and I were walking through the gate with mom. I wonder if she recognizes me. She's looking at me. She's looking right at me with the cutest black rimmed nerd glasses and the most beautiful light blue eyes behind them. She's breathtaking! And she just broke eye contact with me and is now looking at the 'big guy'- this is what he will be called until he provides a name - next to her and whispering something back. They actually look a lot alike; he's just like four times her size. Dude's even bigger than me. I wonder if he plays football.

Park, who is sitting to my left made us all sit down in a circle on the living room floor. Next to Park is Milo, Hogwarts girl, and the 'big guy' is next to her. To my right is Crowe, Randy then Les – Crowe's sister - next to her a girl with really red hair, and Lucas – Randy's brother.

"Okay everybody, I'm Parker" Park says first

"Miles" Milo says. I wonder why he doesn't let other people call him Milo. Only me, mom, Park, James – the sheriff, also known as Park's dad – and Crowe are allowed to call him Milo.

"Really? Not even a hello or something? You suck man. Well hello everybody I'm Crowe, and you Frosty? What's your name sweetheart?" he says looking at Randy. Apparently he's already started nick-naming everybody here. Great

"Uhm, yeah it sure as shit ain't Frosty. Where the hell did that even come from? It's Randy" Damn the girl has some attitude. After the last time they had dinner here, me and Milo kept making jokes that she and Park would hit off, but it's actually true.

"Well I prefer Frosty, and your hair is really white, and I'm like one hundred percent sure that's a guy's name" Crowe says which makes Randy laugh and say "Well I really don't give a damn what you prefer sweetheart, it's Randy, and it is a girl's name. You really can't criticize my name when you're named after a bird" which earns a round of chuckles and giggles from everybody

"Crowe's my last name Frosty. My name's actually Holden. So technically I wasn't named after a bird. Please tell me you weren't named after a guy?" he says dryly

"Seriously? It's short for Miranda, if you must know" she replies with an eye-roll

"Oh, well next? You with the hair" Crowe says pointing to Lucas

"I prefer Lucas over 'You with the hair'" Lucas says dryly and adds with obvious amusement and yet again a southern accent "I'm Frosty's brother, ain't that right Frosty"

"I'm gonna like you." Crowe says with obvious enjoyment "And I'm probably gon kill you both" Randy mutters, but loud enough for everyone to hear

"Okay, moving on, I'm Leslie, but please call me Les. I'm Crowe's sister" says Les, we've been in a few social settings together, but I can't say that I know her all that well.

"You Red?" Milo asks the girl next to Les who now looks kind of mad. Maybe it's because he called her 'Red'. Yeah, I wouldn't like that either.

"Sweetheart I suggest you refrain from calling me Red, I got a name. It's Bree. And I'm Crowe and Les' cousin" What the heck? What's with all the Southern Accents all of a sudden? Maybe there's some kind of convention going on or something?

"How about you Hogwarts? And giant guy sitting next to Hogwarts? Wait, don't tell me, you're Hagrid right?" Crowe asks with an amused smirk

"Well 'Hogwarts' as you say is actually called Auburn, my twin, and I'm definitely not Hagrid. Name's Reece" Reece answers, yet again with a damn Southern Accent. There's so a secret convention going on that I didn't know about

"Twins huh? So Auburn and Reece. Reece and Auburn" Crowe mumbles to himself, like he's juggling around the words around in his mind "Reeburn! Group name" Crowe announces proudly after a few seconds of incoherent bubbling

"Good one Crowe" Park says approvingly

"You know, I really prefer to know the names of the fellows mentally undressing my sis" Reece says looking at me with amusement in his eyes. I look at Auburn who's looking at me and blushing! She's blushing!

"Oh-uh y-yeah it's Will" I stutter. Why am I stuttering? She's really not the first pretty girl that I've ever seen. But I'm pretty sure she is the first I actually want to get to know