Lights On

Asmodeus:

He looked so cute in my clothes as I watched him walking toward the bed and hopping in. He looked so tiny snuggled against the headrest of the bed, his face still apprehensive of his environment and his eyes still full of a wistful sadness as if he were thinking of the unfortunate assault on him. I felt a surge of anger in me as I remembered how that filthy human laid his hands on my beloved's body and then I felt an unknown sensation. Something I've never felt in my eons of existence. Sorrow. Sorrow for my beloved's state. I clenched my fist to my side and took deep breaths, trying to calm myself when I looked up at him and saw him staring at me. I flashed him a small, reassuring smile and he relaxed a bit.

I asked him if he would like to have a cup of hot chocolate while we talked and  nodded his head slightly with a bashful expression. I smiled and told him I'd be back soon with it and left for the kitchen. I entered the kitchen and looked behind me to make sure he wasn't following. I snapped my fingers and two mugs appeared on the counter with steaming hot chocolate. I placed them on a tray and took them back to the room to meet Kayden. I set the tray on the coffee table in the room and offered one of the cups to him which he gingerly accepted. I grabbed my mug and moved to sit back on the chair by the bed. I propped my feet up and rested my head on my knees, looking at Kayden as he sipped from his mug.

"So what do you want to talk about Kayden?" I asked him.

He looked up at me and pondered on that question for a bit.

"I don't know, whatever you want to talk about," he replied softly.

I chuckled and said okay and proceeded to ask him a question.

"So Kayden, what do you like to do for fun?"

"Um, well I like to read a lot," he replied.

"Really? Me too!" I exclaimed, then caught myself from my sudden outburst. He laughed at my expression and I smiled at him.

"So what are your favourite books?" I asked him.

"I love all of Cassandra Clare's work and J. K. Rowling is my goddess of writing," he said.

"Oh my gosh, I love them both a lot as well," I replied.

He looked up at me and beamed as if he finally found someone he could relate to. I smiled at him and we continued talking a bit more. I asked him more about himself and when he asked me about myself I had to come up with some lies on the spot. I learned that he loved listening to bands and his favourite animal is a falcon. He loves chocolate and has a sassy attitude. I sat and listened to him as he spoke, letting his voice roll over me as I internalized and stored all this information away for memory. 

I told him that my parents died when I was young and I was brought up by my aunt. We talked more and I told him that my favourite animal is a lion, I love the same music as him and I liked chocolate a lot as well. He smiled at me and we talked until he said he was feeling sleepy. At that I told him good night and turned off the lights, watching him snuggle into the bed, under the blankets, closing his eyes and drifting to sleep. Damn, he looked so cute laying there all innocent and vulnerable. I smiled to myself and walked out of the room, gently closing the door behind me as I moved to the hall. I sat myself down on the sofa and looked at the television remote on the coffee table. I picked it up and turned it over in m hands. How do mortals come up  with these sort of contraptions? I  pressed the red button and the TV turned on. I looked at it and back at the remote and began flicking through the stations.

Now, I should probably let you know how I acquired this apartment. Well the thing is, I kind of put a spell on the man who owned the building and made him give me the best apartment for free. I continued watching TV until I felt myself drifting off into a light slumber. As I was drifting off, I heard a sound from the bedroom, like a whimper. I instantly woke up and rushed to the room, throwing open the door and turning on the lights. I saw Kayden huddled in the corner of the bed, clutching the blanket up to his chin. I ran up next to him and asked him if he was alright. He looked at me, his eyes wild. I held him and pulled him into a hug.

"Hey, it's okay Kayden. You're safe. Don't worry," I said in my most soothing voice.

He looked up at me, calming down a bit before speaking any further.

"I'm okay Mr. Prince. It's just that, I- I have a fear of darkness, and at home I usually sleep with a small nightlight, unless I have people sleeping over. Added to that, I also felt as though I were reliving that incident, that alleyway, that- that boy," he said shakily. 

I got up and walked over to the closet, opening it as he looked on at me. I stood in front of the open closet, my back blocking his view and snapped my fingers. A small, stuffed lion appeared in my hand and I turned around, closing the closet and placing the lion behind my back as I walked back to Kayden, sitting next to him. bringing the little stuffed toy out from behind my back and placing it in his hands.

"My parents got this for me when I was a baby and it's one of the few things I have to remember them by," I said, lying through my teeth. "I used to go to sleep with it when I had trouble sleeping and well I  want you to have it."

"I- I can't take this Mr. Prince. It's a part of your memories," he stuttered.

"I want you to have it," I said, smiling at him, "I'm sure it'll help you sleep at night. He'll be like your little sleepover buddy all the time," I continued with a chuckle.

He took the little lion and held it, giving me a small smile and laying back down on the bed.

"I'll stay in the room if you want me to," I told him.

He smiled at me and nodded then saying, "Please, I would like that."

I sat on the chair beside the bed and watched him drifting off to sleep.

"Oh, one more thing," he said. "Can you please leave the lights on?" he asked gingerly.

I let out a small laugh and pulled his blankets up for him as he cradled the little stuffed lion to himself.

"Of course I'll leave the lights on."