The Same Direction

Începe de la început

"My crew did save you."

"By chance."

"Hmm, I say you owe us."

Kazimir spun towards him. "I don't owe you any—"

Cole's hand shot up, catching his jaw and stopping him, smiling. "You need to relax," he said, smiling, slipping his other hand into his pocket and tilting his head to the side. "You're way too wound up for a guy whose body could still potentially go into shock. I'm not going to do anything to you. Don't think so badly of my 'occupation'. While in this country, I'm just any other man – who happened to save you."

Kazimir slapped his hand and pulled his jaw away, glaring at him. "If I owe anyone from your crew, it's the one who pulled me out of the sea in the first place."

"Perry wouldn't know how to use a debt to his advantage even if it came to him with drawn-out instructions. As his captain, I'm taking command of his debt."

"That's hardly fair."

"Fair? What is this word you speak of?"

Kazimir rolled his eyes and Cole chuckled.

"Don't worry; I might not even call you out on this debt. I don't know what use you might be to me, yet."

"I'm no use to you. I'm just a translator."

"To a princess."

"And you tread a very, very, unstable line if you try to use her to your advantage."

"Oooh, scary!" Cole cheered with a dramatic shiver, clapping his hands. "Maybe I should try it just to see what would happe—"

The next second, Cole was flat on his back, Kazimir's hands around his throat, thumbs jammed so tightly down on his windpipe, breathing was impossible in an instant.

And then Kazimir released the pressure and air flooded into Cole's lungs and he coughed, staring up at Kazimir who knelt over him, long hair tumbling over his shoulders to the floor, casting a curtain around them as he stared up at his deep blue eyes.

He blinked and Kazimir raised an eyebrow at him, expression calm and undeterred by his own actions.

"Let's get one thing straight," he said calmly, "I hate you. I hate everyone like you. I hate everyone in this palace. My sole intention is go home as soon as I can. I pose no danger to your prince but I do not want to make nice with anyone. Do me a favour and go away. I am going to be stuck here for a while until a ship comes to collect us. In that time, do not talk to me. Do not look at me. Do not even be in the same room as me. I will keep myself to myself. You go play pirate and pretend to be a big, scary bad guy and leave me out of it."

Something touched his neck and he blinked, about to look down.

"Ah," Cole said, smiling, "I wouldn't move. The blade is pretty sharp."

Kazimir froze, eyes flicking down to see Cole's arm had lifted slightly. He was holding something that was now pressed against his neck.

"You move surprisingly fast. Caught me off guard there," Cole said, still smiling though it no longer reached his eyes. "I get it but why don't you play nice for just a moment before you hurt yourself. Let's start by you taking your hands off my neck."

Kazimir was still for a moment, then sighed and removed his hold and held up his hands in surrender.

"You're so compliant," Cole said, grinning.

"It wouldn't do well to get blood on the carpet of my host's home," Kazimir said, sitting back.

Cole laughed. "True," he said, sitting up.

Kazimir looked at what he was holding the second Cole removed it from his neck. It was a thin blade. He was about to ask where it came from when Cole flicked his wrist and the blade vanished up his sleeve.

"How crafty," Kazimir muttered.

"Why thank you."

"You're welcome."

"Now how about you get off me? Next time, we'll get a private room but, for now, it'll be very awkward to explain why I'm being pinned down in the middle of the castle hallway. Servants are terrible gossips, you know?"

Kazimir got to his feet and retrieved the paper he'd dropped. Cole hopped up and straightened his clothes.

"So what's that?"

"A letter to my home country," Kazimir replied as he turned and walked away.

"Eh, sending it off already?" Cole asked, falling back into step with him.

"It will take time to get there and replies to be sent back and a ship be sent out to collect us. I need to get things rolling as soon as possible."

"Fair enough," Cole said, linking his hands behind his head as they walked.

They were silent for a moment, Cole looking out of the windows they passed, Kazimir reading the letter.

Then he frowned.

"I thought I told you to leave me alone," he said.

"We're just going in the same direction," Cole said, looking at him and smiled.

"Did I mention I hate you?"

"I don't recall."

Kazimir rolled his eyes and looked back at his letter.

Then, after a moment, he muttered, "Where are we, by the way?"

~~~~

Next Up: Monday

Art By: Pinterest Image

.... I had every intention of telling you guys something at the end of this chapter... and I have no idea what.... oh well, clearly wasn't important lol

You guys tell me something instead.