"They'll be gone for a few hours," she told me. "We should have plenty of time."

Nodding, I let her guide me in the direction of Titus' cottage. Our steps were filled with silence until I decided now would be a good time as any to ask about their strange culture.

"What's a Run?" I inquired.

"It's something the men do at every—or almost every—event we have. They run the perimeter of our territory together to commemorate the way the male wolves used to before civilization." She shrugged. "The men like it and it gives the women time to gossip, so no one protests."

I grinned. "Except for Rian."

"Yes," she agreed, laughing to herself. "Except for Rian."

"So, I noticed the...Alpha wasn't here. Does he just stay in his house all the time?"

"Usually. He has bone cancer, so some days he really struggles to move around."

My heart shuddered. "Bone cancer? That's awful."

"I know. This is the first time we've ever had a wolf get cancer. It's unheard of."

I didn't know how to respond to that. Wolves were tough, I knew, but I didn't know they didn't get cancer. Until now, that is. What else was still a mystery to me? Would I ever learn all there was to know about these people?

We reached the porch of Titus' cottage and Marie told me to wait outside. I gladly obliged. While I waited, I leaned against one of the wood porch columns and let my eyes scan the dark street. The New Moon didn't give off any hint of light, so everything was enveloped by the night. It was hard to believe this was only my second day in Oregon. The world seemed to have fallen apart in that short span of time.

The front door opened and Marie walked out of the cottage, followed by a haggard-looking older man in khakis. Stethoscope hung from around his neck and a rectangular metal box from his right hand, the only indications he was a doctor.

"Faye, is it?" he asked, politely keeping his distance.

I nodded.

"I'm Doctor Keaton. Call me Keaton if you like. We briefly met earlier, but I'm not sure you remember me."

"I remember," I replied. "Things were just too hectic for an official introduction."

"Exactly." He clasped his hands together, eyes scanning the area. "So, why don't we go somewhere private where I can take a look at your wound?"

Unsure of where to go, I looked to Marie.

"We'll go to our cottage," she said. "This way."

The doctor and I followed behind her as we headed down the street. I couldn't restrain my curiosity and conversation was lacking, so I decided to go for it.

"I don't mean to pry or anything," I told Dr. Keaton, "but are you a...you know...wolf?"

He smiled. "No. I just happen to know a lot about them."

"How'd you get into this business? Healing wolves, I mean."

"It's a long story. If we get a chance, I'll tell you sometime."

I didn't appreciate his vagueness, but I didn't press it. Really, how does a human get pulled into this mess? Unless he's like me and a wolf has claimed him as her anima. Then I could better understand.

We reached Marie's cottage and took residence in the kitchen. Dr. Keaton sat me down at the table and asked to see my wound. A blush warmed my cheeks as I realized what I'd have to do. I hadn't thought this far ahead.

"It's okay," Marie encouraged me.

But it's still awkward, I thought to myself. Nonetheless, I unzipped the back of my dress and slipped the shoulder down. Dr. Keaton wasn't fazed at the sight of my bra, to my relief. He'd probably seen dozens of naked people before. And I wasn't even naked. I still shifted uncomfortably under his scrutiny.

"I'm going to peel off the bandaging," he told me. "Hold still."

I did as ordered, grinding my teeth when the tape pulled out a few little blonde hairs. Although he didn't gasp or anything, Keaton's face said it all.

"Infection?" I guessed.

"I don't think so. Who scratched you?"

"Mr. Nick, the Omega."

He raised his right eyebrow. "Are you sure?"

"Y-Yes?" My voice sounded uncertain even to my ears.

"You don't know, do you?" he said, trying to hide his concern.

"Why is that relevant?" Marie questioned. She, too, was catching wind of his worry. The feeling was contagious, like panic.

Dr. Keaton swallowed heavily. "An Alpha's scratch is more damaging than a normal wolf to a human. It can leave a mark for weeks or months, depending on how severe the wound is. If it does untreated, the human is far more likely to get an infection or disease."

"But neither of them are Alphas, and it definitely happened during the fight," I reminded him. "That doesn't make sense."

"Marie, you mentioned your son is the rising Alpha, yes?" Dr. Keaton burned his gaze into her.

"Well, yes—"

The front door suddenly flew open. Rian looked around until his eyes found us in the living room. He started to speak until he noticed why Dr. Keaton was bent over me and why my dress was halfway off.

This day was just getting better and better.