day 10

[ unedited ]
hwasa's pov

grudgingly, i took one last long glance of myself in the mirror before heading back to class. my dark, brown eye-bags were very obvious, due to the lack of sleep i had yesterday while thinking about wheein's weird response.

it definitely wasn't a good day today. as i entered my blurry self the moment i reached home yesterday, i did everything in a daze. so much that i forgot to complete my homework. and the worst thing? it was miss venus's work; given how cranky she was today, i was sure i wouldn't be able to escape from her. it didn't help that wheein continued to ignore me.

true enough, as miss venus's eyes scanned through the class, her gaze landed on me. she pointed a bony finger towards my direction. with her addition to my bad mood, i almost snorted at how she TRIED to find someone in class to call; though i knew she would call upon me. i stood up on accord to her instructions, feeling quite helpless inwardly. without doing my work, i did not know what was the answer to her question.

with her psychic mind and sharp eyes, wheein probably knew i did not do my work. she slid her worksheet over to me table sneakily. i read out the answer on wheein's paper, before sitting down. as i was about to pass the worksheet back to wheein, a note slipped out of her paper. i detached it from her worksheet and read through her tiny, neat, font-like handwriting.

"hyejin asked me a question today.
it was regarding how i was treating her these days.
she wondered if i was only so nice to her because i want her to like me.
honestly, i could care less about that deal.
i know myself that the possibility of her liking me is so small.
but being nice to her because i want her to like me?
hyejin yah, you're such a *pabo...
you are my best friend.
if i'm not nice to you, how should i treat you?
how can i treat someone i like so much in a bad way?
i don't want to be so nice to you too, but i cannot control myself.
you're the reason why i smile so much and who i am today.
how... how can you expect me to just treat you normally?
you're so special to me hwasa.
whether i like you or not, it doesn't change that fact.
it hurts that you would even think of me that lowly."

the note was smudged with ink; it was evident she had cried while writing this.

i felt bad. i felt really bad for doubting wheein's intention. the sorrow in wheein's features were not as visible to others, but they were clear as light to me.

you need to forgive me wheein. i'm sorry.

*pabo means fool