day 15

[ unedited ]
hwasa's pov

at 6:00 sharp, i woke up to my alarm. that was half an hour earlier than my usual morning call; i had intended to be up earlier. though my body tempted to lie down and rested for a tad more minutes, my hands yanked the blankets roughly off. the cool, morning air instantly enveloped me, jolting my senses awake.

with half closed eyelids, i managed to find an orange and proceeded to squeeze and collect its juices. they were meant for wheein. just recalling how wheein whined softly and walked unsteadily yesterday was enough for guilt to haunt me. heading to the spare room where it held many of the art materials that i didn't store in my room, i clawed on a plain sketchbook and chucked it into my bag. finally, i took a small, squishy soft toy with me. wheein had the habit of fumbling with small items especially when she was nervous or sick. it calmed her down and put her mind at rest; it served a great distraction for her as well.

even though i did arrive slightly earlier than my usual timing, my poor puppy was already at her seat with her head on the table. i could hear the shattering of my heart as i approached wheein. despite her discomfort, she still forced a bleak smile; her shoulders sagged in exhaustion, her face etched with fatigue.

quickly, i pulled out all the things i've brought for wheein, gesturing her to take a sip on the orange juice first. with her small hands clasping onto the soft toy, her vision turned into one that contained jubilation. with wheein being in her distracted self, i silently took her worksheet and began writing down important notes for her. miss venus did not seem to realise that wheein was unwell as she stared harshly at wheein's blank table that had a sketchbook only, but said nothing when she saw me copying notes for wheein.

what a caring teacher.

even after that small incident regarding keres and miss venus, miss venus's affection for wheein did not change. she was a little bitter, but it faded away two days before when she still called wheein up to run errands.

the next time i turned to look at wheein, i realised she had already filled several pages of the sketchbook. wheein caught my gaze on her a second later, she let out a cheery grin and flipped right back to the first page. unexpectedly, she had doodled some cartoon characters and modified them according to her own imagination. wheein's thoughts weren't exactly sane; they were filled with a drop of creativity, few buckets of dreamy hopes and tonnes of weird, nonsensical situations that somehow went well in her mind. even with that said, she still manages to blend her ideas well with her drawings.

i spent the rest of the time watching wheein doodle, with more than half of the time trying to contain the huge laughter about to erupt from the back of my throat. i really love seeing wheein draw, it was pure adorable. her bangs were growing well; if anything, it only made her cuter. unable to stop the strong urge, i reached out to poke her cheeks. wheein let out a pout, one that left me weak.

"wheein ah... why are you so cute?" i sighed.
"because i'm ugly." wheein whispered.
"that doesn't make any sense."
"that's right, when has wheein ever made sense?"
"you are the famous creator of no sense."

the tiny, charming girl beside me started to giggle.

i've been yearning to hear that melodious sound all day.