day 3

[ unedited ]
hwasa's pov

"hyejin yah, come over to my house today? i can help you with chemistry."

a smile played on wheein's lips. i squeezed her hand in agreement.

"tell your mum to make those creamy cheese puffs that i love? i haven't eaten them for a really long time."

when we reached wheein's house, i greeted her parents politely. her mother held a gentle, soft smile as she welcomed me. her father was reading the newspaper, but he quickly stood up and ruffled my hair. i love wheein's parents; they always showered me with warmth whenever i went over to their house. it was apparent that wheein got her friendly and sweet nature from them.

as i expected, the aroma of freshly baked cheese puffs wafted through wheein's room. i settled down comfortably on her squishy mattress and dragged my chemistry book out. wheein pulled my lazy body to sit up.

she groaned and commented,"let's get started, you can sleep 10 hours later."

throwing her hair into a messy bun, she scavenged her bag and dug out all her worksheets and notes. hardly feeling surprised, i smiled. this kid really puts in effort for everything she does.

she started off, "to form a chemical formula, you have to know which elements belong to which group in the periodic table. then you need to identify how many electrons an atom needs to lose or gain. for example, sodium atom has..."

listening to wheein's explanation, i started to understand the topic and try to do some of the questions on the worksheets that wheein provided. it was relatively relaxing to hear and comprehend what wheein said; she had such a soothing and angelic voice, compared to miss venus.

before i knew it, night fell.

i struggled to complete the last question on the paper. fatigue overwhelmed my entire body. instead of pushing myself to solve, i thrusted the worksheet back to wheein.

"wheein ah i swear i know the answer! i'm just so tired i want to sleep right now" i whined.
"alright we'll stop here for today. make sure you really understand what i say!"

i nodded my head. her small bedroom's clock chirped once, indicating that it was already ten. wheein guided me down the stairs and out of her door. her parents turned in by that time, so i did not have a chance to bid farewell.

"let me accompany you home."
"you know, you don't have to; you are fairly tired yourself... "
"but i want to~"

i could not find a reason to argue with her so i silently walked by her side. the bitterly cold wind stung my face. the moon emerged, casting elongated shadows on the ground. a comfortable silence hung between us as we walked together, side by side.

as we approached my house, wheein stopped near the gates. she watched me intently as i walked up the front porch.

"good night hyejinnie. sweet dreams."

she waved lightly and began strolling her way back. i gazed at her as her figure got smaller gradually, before finally fading into the darkness. i let out a breath i did not know i was holding and faintly whispered,

"good night, wheein. thank you for helping me."

a/n: no one understood that chemical formula explanation right? xD ahahah it's obvious that i didn't do well for chem. if i actually taught chemistry, everyone would fail^^

by the way, i'm not sure how wheein's parents are like? since wheein recently cried on a show saying that she could sympathize with the singer who had divorced parents, singing with his mum on his mind because she went through something similar.

sometimes i really wonder what wheein went through. all i know is wheein lived with her grandmother^^
tea.