Chapter 20

Tris POV:

Tobias steps back from Caleb, his chest heaving.

"Sir-" My dad holds up a hand.

"No formalities, just tell me why you attacked my son." I step forward, but he shoots me a look.

"Stay out of this Beatrice." I glare as he turns to face Tobias again.

"I'll tell you why dad! I was talking about how well the companies been doing, and asking Beatrice for some of her beautiful artwork, and HE attacked me!" Caleb says shrilly. I go to open my mouth again but Tobias shakes his head.

"I'm sorry sir." He turns to Caleb.

"Please forgive me, I don't know what came over me." Caleb sniffs.

"You're Marcus Eaton's kid, right? Imagine the shame he goes through as having you for a son." Tobias looks like he's been shot. My dad opens his mouth, but I beat him to it.

"CALEB! Enough! How dare you? Tob-" He brushes past me and heads for the door. My heart plummets and I turn/

"Tobias please! Tobias, come back!" I call, running after him. I meet up with him as he

is starting up his bike. I put his hand on my shoulder but he shakes me off.

"Go inside, you'll freeze." He mutters. I shake my head.

"Baby, please just think for a minute. He didn't know-"

"EXACTLY! HE DOESN'T"T KNOW! NOBODY DOES." He yells. He take in a deep breath.

"I just need some time, I'll see you soon." He pushes off the side of the curb and takes off down the street. My hand still clutches the air where his shoulder would have been. I look down and see something silver in the street. The idiot dropped his house key.

I pick it up, stuffing it in my pocket, before making my way back inside. My dad leans at the counter, talking in furious whispers to Caleb. I clear my throat and they both look up.

"Honey, we we're just discussing. Caleb knows he was wrong, and he-"

"If you ever insult me, or tell me my mother would be ashamed, or insult the man I love, I will never speak to you again." I mutter quietly to Caleb. His face goes slack, and tears fill his eyes.

"Beatrice." I turn to my father.

"You two are not the only men in my life. And if you drive one away, expect me to go with him." I clear my throat.

"Caleb, you want the pieces? Full price, plus shipping. Now if you excuse me, I've got a Soldier MIA." I turn, letting the door slam behind me as I make my way to the nearest subway station.

-

-

-

I've spent the last hour looking for him with no such luck. He won't answer my calls, and I'm becoming desperate. I finally decide to call Zeke.

"What up, Short Stuff." He says cheerfully. I groan.

"Zeke not now. Four is missing. Where does he usually go when he's upset?" Zeke swears loudly on the other end. I hear him move some things around.

"He's at High Hill Cemetery in Brooklyn. He always goes there if he's mad or stressed." I sigh in relief.

"Thanks Zeke." He laughs.

"No problem, just bring our boy home." I hit end call and head to hail a cab.

In a few minutes, we pull u to a gated green area filled with tomb stones. I spot Tobias's bike next to the curb.

"You want me to wait." The cabby says in a thick accent. I shake my head, passing him some money.

I step out onto the sidewalk, the cold air chilling my bones. I slowly walk up the hill to where he sits. He's staring at a large gravestone, not moving, a bouquet of flowers and a small stuffed bear resting against it.

"You found me quicker than I thought." He says as I approach him. I let out a shaky laugh.

"Thank Zeke for that." He stay silent, staring at the words.

"My mother and sister." He says, pointing to the names. Birthdates are different, but death dates are the same.

"She tried getting us away, ended up smashing into a drunk driver." He blows air out, creating a puff of smoke.

"It should have been me too." I shake my head.

"No. Don't say that. It wasn't your fault." He lets out a painful laugh.

"She had her whole life ahead of her. And then she's gone. She got away from him, but not in the right way." His voice cracks at the end. I don't say anything as he sniffs.

"I would have gotten them away." He whispers. He grows silent. I shift so I'm facing them grave.

"I was twenty. My mom had just died, and things were...really bad. I was a mess, and I was so...angry. I used to go to this old church every night and pray.

One night, on my way back from church, it was like I just gave up, and for a split second I let my hand leave the wheel.

I ended up wrapping myself around a tree. I was in a coma for 3 days, and then hospital for a month." I pause to let him sink in this information.

" I have this belief that God hears us, but I won't spout some bullshit that things happen for a reason." I turn his face to look at me.

"They shouldn't have died that day. But...Maybe he took them before they could be hurt anymore." His face crumples and he lets put a sob. I pull him to me, his face buried against my chest, stroking his hair as he lets all his emotions out.

Sometime the people who cry the hardest have been the strongest for too long

ELLO! SORRY FOR NOT UPDATING! HOPE YOU ENJOYED! PLUS, THANK YOU SOOOOOO MUCH FOR 3K READS!!!