colours

[ — keep in mind that i don't know how it feels to be colourblind, my inspiration comes from reading and watching videos about people being colourblind ]

It was in seventh grade Jungkook found out he was colourblind. His parents had always suspected something, since he always said the wrong names to the crayons he was drawing with. During his biology class in seventh grade, their teachers had handed out books to everyone, and he told them to open up a certain page and then look at the photo in the left corner.

Jungkook still remember it, every second.

"Now, everyone, find page number 56 and then take a look at the photo in the left corner. Tell me what you think it is." The students had done as they were told, and after the first kid had said what the photo showed, everyone else shouted the same thing.

"It's a dog!"

Except for Jungkook. Because he couldn't see what the photo was supposed to be. He was too embarrassed to tell the teacher that he couldn't see, he only saw dots but not what the dots were supposed to show.

He couldn't help but wonder if there was anything wrong with him. Why wasn't he able to see what everyone else saw? After class had ended and all the other students had left, he felt brave enough to ask his teacher, so he did.

"Mr Lee, uhm...I-I didn't see what the photo showed," the teacher looked up from his computer, thinking for a few seconds before he realised what Jungkook was talking about. He stood up and walked over to stand beside the boy, opening the book again to show him the photo.

"You mean this photo?" He asked and pointed at it, Jungkook nodded slowly as a response. The teacher sighed. "This is a photo with yellow, orange and green dots-" the man started to explain, but Jungkook's eyes widened. "What? I only saw yellow..." The fourteen year old blurted out, then realising he had interrupted his teacher so he was quick to apologise. "S-sorry, mr Lee..." "It's okay. This picture is supposed to be a dog, you don't see it?" Mr Lee smiled at the boy, who shook his head.

"Is something wrong with me? Why can't I see it when everyone else can?" Jungkook didn't know why this was a big deal for him, the teacher put a hand on his shoulder. "It means you're colourblind, probably, Jungkook. It's nothing dangerous, but talk to your parents about it, okay? I can't know for sure."

And that was it. That day Jungkook had talked to his parents about it and within two weeks, it was clear that he was colourblind. Some things started to make sense to him now that he got to know basic things about being colourblind. There were certain colours he couldn't see and looked the same. Green looks like brown to him but he can see yellow. He can see the colours of the rainbow, but not as bright and contrasting as others could.

It was hard for him throughout high school, mainly because of him being too insecure to tell people about this which led to people thinking he was weird for not seeing colours. Once when he told a boy in his class that he had started to befriend, the boy had just laughed at him, saying that "You're kidding, that's ridiculous. You're just weird."

Since then, Jungkook hadn't told anyone until he met Taehyung. The two had fallen for each other very quickly, and Jungkook had gotten very good and supporting friends with a little help from Taehyung. And now, after recently celebrating his 20th birthday, he felt like he had finally found some happiness in his life. Because, he was now used to being colourblind and had learned to accept it and how to deal with it. 

It was a week after his birthday, Taehyung had taken him outside for a little walk. When they stopped in the middle of the park suddenly, Taehyung got something out of the bag he had brought. It was a box, a medium sized box and Jungkook was confused. "I know it's been a week since your birthday, but I have another present for you." The older said before handing Jungkook the black box. "It didn't arrive until yesterday, which is why I give it to you now."

"Thank you, Taehyung, but you didn't have to-" "No, but I wanted to. And this is a really special thing, I know you'll like them." Jungkook raised an eyebrow. "Them?"

"Jesus christ, just open it, I'm nervous," Taehyung said, waving his hands as a way to show he wanted Jungkook to hurry. The younger laughed softly before looking down at the box. "Sure," he took away the small piece of tape before he opened the box, inside were a pair of glasses. He looked up and smiled widely. "Thank you- why are you recording?" "Put them on! Ignore me," the older said, and his smile was so wide. Jungkook could see how nervous his boyfriend was, but he shrugged and giggled before obeying. "Okay," he took the glasses out of the box, noticing how pretty they were. "Woah, these are really pretty," he looked at Taehyung again for a split second before putting them on.

A few seconds passed. Jungkook's smile disappeared and he took the glasses off again, obviously confused. Then he looked at them before putting them on a second time. This time, he turned his head firstly to Taehyung with widened eyes, then he looked around.

"Wait, what...are-are these..." Jungkook looked back at Taehyung who was still recording everything with his phone, but his eyes weren't on the screen. They were meeting with Jungkook's, and even though the glass of the glasses Jungkook was wearing was a bit darker, the older noticed the tears that were making the younger's eyes glisten.

"I-I can see the colours...oh my god..." Jungkook now spun around once again, looking at the red flowers that were planted next to a few trees, then he looked at the leaves since they were starting to become different colours than green. Taehyung had now stopped recording, and almost felt like crying himself when he watched Jungkook's reaction to seeing the colours he had never been able to see before.

Jungkook blinked and felt tears fall out of his eyes, but he didn't bother to wipe them away as he walked over to Taehyung and hugged him tightly. People probably didn't understand how amazing it would feel to be able to see all colours, instead of just a handful of them. If not even less than that.

"Oh my gosh, weren't these expensive?"

As that question left Jungkook's lips, Taehyung laughed, kissing him on the cheek. "That's not the point, babe, the point is that now you can see all colours instead of those few ones, right?" They pulled from the hug and Jungkook looked his boyfriend's face. "Wow, your...your eyes actually have some green in them. I can see that now," the younger moved the glasses up to wipe his tears away. "I didn't even know these existed, I'm..." Jungkook held the glasses in his hand, admiring them in a way. "I'm just speechless. Thank you so much for these," he looked at his boyfriend again, as a new set of tears blurred his vision.

"Baby, don't cry," Taehyun wiped the tears away with his thumbs, then bringing Jungkook close as he captured his lips in a sweet kiss.

To Jungkook, just being able to see all of those details Taehyung had in his eyes that the older had mentioned before, it brought tears to his eyes. Because now he finally understood why Taehyung liked his eyes most about himself, and now he also understood why autumn was Taehyung's favourite season. Because in the beginning of their friendship, before Taehyung knew about Jungkook being colour-blind, the older had always talked about how much he loved the different colours autumn had.

"I see why you like autumn now," Jungkook chuckled after pulling away from their kiss. "And now I understand why you like your eyes, they're even more beautiful than I thought they were already."

"That's great, Jungkookie, but stop with the cheesiness, shouldn't we continue our walk now so you can see more?"

Jungkook hugged him again, feeling more thankful than he had ever done before. "Yes, please, let's continue."