Chapter 15: History Part I

Jess's POV.

After we finished tending to the wounded, I walked up to Kitsune to ask her something. "So, I haven't heard the full story of the war with Herobrine and the mythical creatures. Can you tell me?"

She looked wistful. "I can do better than that," she said. "I can show you. Follow me."

By now, the rest of the Order had already gathered around us, and we all followed Kitsune upstairs.

"Hey, wasn't this the place we first entered when we came in and you attacked us?" Petra asked.

"First of all, you guys broke in. As far as we're concerned, it could've been Herobrine. Second of all, yes, this is the same place," Kitsune answered. She led us to the glass ball that we'd first seen Reuben...pass away in.

"You guys probably figured out that it can see things. Past, present, the future rarely, but this is the past."

We nodded.

"So seeing years into the past...shouldn't be too much of a problem. Now watch."

We watched as she touched the glass lightly, muttering something under her breath. The ball started to glow, forming blurry shapes that eventually focused into images.

A/N: I'm writing the past in italics.

A man stood on a cliff overlooking the sea. The sun was setting, casting an illuminating orange glow over the water. A woman walked up to him.

"Is that..." Olivia trailed off.

"Steve and Alex. The first two humans of this world," Kitsune confirmed. "This was just before the final battle."

"Don't fret," she said, trying to calm him down.

"I know, Alex, it's just–how many more will die before Herobrine is finally gone?" he said, sadness lacing his words. "So many of them......" He trailed off, a tear streaking down his cheek.

Tears streaked down her face. "I know, believe me, I know." She gripped the phoenix amulet around her neck tightly.

A bell was heard from the distance. "We'd better get back," Steve said, wiping the tears from his eyes. Alex stood up and followed.

The duo walked into town, where a group of warriors were gathered. "Are we ready to go?" Steve asked. They nodded.

"Let's move out!" Alex yelled, raising her sword.

Kitsune took her hand and rotated the orb, spinning the time forward a bit into the battle.

Alex was surround by a phoenix avatar and wielded a flaming sword, while Steve had a dragon avatar and wielded a black sword with purple sparks, similar to when someone used an ender pearl or when endermen teleported. Their swords, combined with everyone else's, cut down Herobrine's ranks with vigor. But Herobrine's minions kept coming.

Their forces seemed to be tiring. "How many more minions do we have to fight?" Alex gasped as she sliced through another mob.

"Hopefully, not much more," someone said, leaping up next to the two warriors.

She looked familiar, with her golden-blonde hair and green eyes. That's when I realized why she looked so familiar.

"Is that Griffin?" Petra said, taking the question right out my mouth.

"No. Her predecessor," Kitsune replied.

"Erin? Are you okay?" Steve asked, noticing her short breaths.

"Fine, just tired. Summoning the avatar that long is definitely exhausting," she said, brushing away a stray strand of hair.

Another woman joined them. She had black hair with silver streaks and silver eyes.

This time, I realized she must've been Kitsune's ancestor, and was about to ask, when I saw Kitsune staring sadly into the glass, and decided not too.

"I've been scouting ahead," she said. "I think Herobrine is somewhere in the middle of the mobs, he's creating more as well."

"That was dangerous. You could've gotten hurt, Astra," Alex said.

"I'm fine. Besides," she paused. "Victory does not come without sacrifice."

All of them went silent.

In the silence, all of them heard someone step in. They whirled around, drawing their weapons. Griffin stepped out.

"Thought I'd find you guys here," she said, and that's when I noticed she was limping, holding her side.

Kitsune noticed too. "Are you okay?" she asked with concern.

"Well..." she lifted her hand, and I saw a long gash on her side, dripping with blood.

Sorry if this was a short chapter.  Just though I'd end it here.  Next one will be longer, I promise
~Griffinᾦ