Chapter 23

Paul heard Ash calling his name and he kept walking straight ahead.

It was Wednesday after school. Exactly four days, seventeen hours, and three seconds after his confession to Dawn. Exactly the same amount of time she had been missing.

"Paul!" Ash clasped his hand on Paul's shoulder and he shrugged it off.

"Wait, come on, Paul! I need to tell you something," Ash insisted.

"I don't wanna listen to anything you have to say," Paul growled.

"Dawn was here."

Paul stopped and glanced back. He saw it was Iris' blonde peppy friend from Kalos who spoke up.

"What did you say?"

She gulped and then stepped closer, "She was just here and she um, she just wanted me to tell Misty that no one can protect her."

Paul glared, "Why are you telling me this? I don't care what happens to that girl."

"But you care about Dawn, right? Right now she's scared and angry and she's feeling alone. That's all I wanted to tell you."

Paul watched her walk away and then called out, "Wait."

She turned back and he sighed.

"Do you know where she is?"

"I only know what she told me and then she left. I don't know where she went after that. She was gone when I came out."

He nodded and then left.

He had a few ideas on where she might be.

He went to the elevator and pressed the button for the seventh floor where Dawn's dorm was.

He found her room and knocked gently, only to have the door swing open.

"Dawn?"

He entered her room slowly. A yellow tank top flew onto his face and he picked it off in disgust.

He walked further into the room and spotted Dawn in her closet. She was on her hands and knees and Paul caught a glimpse of her lacy pink panties.

He blushed and quickly turned away.

"Oh, Paul, you're here! Cool! Can you grab my suitcase and bring it over here?" She asked.

Paul froze, "You're leaving?"

"No, of course not! I still need to complete my year here so we can travel again."

"Then...where are you going?" He handed her the suitcase.

"Oh, just gonna stay with my cousin. I'm still coming to school if that's what you're worried about."

Paul was silent as he watched her pack up all her clothes.

"Do you hate me...?" Paul cursed himself internally when he heard the slight tremble in his voice.

Dawn stopped packing and looked at him in confusion, "What do you mean?"

"When I..." Paul breathed deeply and then stared directly into her eyes. "I told you I love you."

Dawn tensed up. Then, she sighed and rolled her eyes.

"Paul, now is not the time to be playing. Now, could you get my-"

Paul grabbed her hand, turned her around, and pulled her close.

His heart gave a little pitter as she looked at him with shining eyes.

"I love you."

Doki Doki

Dawn didn't reply and his eyes wandered to her small pink lips that were lightly dusted with lip gloss. He could smell the winter berry scent coming off of them.

He struggled with his urge to sweep her off her feet with one kiss.

"Paul..." Dawn whispered.

Paul glanced back up at her now half-lidded eyes and could feel his breath slow down.

She leaned in closer.

Paul was helpless as her lips met his and he felt a shiver run through his spine in delight.

As she pulled away, Paul flashed her a genuine smile.

"Dawn, I-"

"I need to go."

Dawn grabbed her suitcase and ran out the room.

Paul could hear his own heart break with every step she took.