Chapter Thirteen: The Necromanteion

3rd Person's P.O.V

The tunnel spiraled gently downward, the ceiling supported by white stone arch that reminded Frank of a whale's ribcage. As they walked Hazel ran her hands along the masonry.

"This wasn't part of the temple," she whispered, "This was. . .the basement the basement for a manor house. Built in later Greek times."

Frank found it eerie how Hazel could tell so much about an underground place just by being there. He'd never known her to be mistaken.

"A manor house?" he said, "Please don't tell me we"re in the wrong place."

"The House of Hades is below us," Nico assured him. "But Hazel's right, these upper level's are much newer. When the archaeologists first excavated this site, they thought they'd found the Necromanteion. Then they'd realized the ruins were too recent, so they decide it was the wrong spot. They were right the first time. They just didn't dig deep enough."

They turned around a corner and stopped. Right in front of them, the tunnel ended in a huge block of stone.

"A cave in?" Jason asked.

"A test," NIco said. "Hazel, would you do the honors?"

Hazel stepped forward. She placed her hand on the rock, and the entire boulder crumbled to dust.

The tunnel shuddered. Cracks spread across the ceiling. For a terrifying moment, Frank imagined they'd all be crushed under tons of earth.--a disappointing way to die, after all they'd been through. Then the rumbling stopped. The dust settled.

A set of stairs curved deeper into the earth, the barreled ceiling held up by more repeating arches closer together carved from polished black stone. The descending arches made Frank feel dizzy, as if he were looking into an endlessly reflecting mirror. Painted on the walls were crude pictures of black cattle marching downward.

"I really don't like cows," muttered Piper.

"Agreed," Frank said.

"Those are the cattle of Hades," said Nico. "It's just a symbol of--"

"Look." Frank pointed. On the first step of the stairwell a golden chalice gleamed. Frank was pretty sure it hadn't been there before. The cup was full of dark green liquid.

"Hoo-ray. I suppose that's our poison." Leo said half-heartedly. Oh, something is really wrong with this buddy. He's losing his charm.

Nico picked up the chalice. "We're standing at the ancient entrance of the Necromanteion. Odysseus came here, and dozens of heroes, seeking advice from the dead."

"Did the dead advice them to leave immediately?" Leo asked.

"I would be fine with that," Piper admitted.

Nico drank from the chalice then offered it to Jason next. "You asked me about trust, and taking risks? Well, here you go, son of Jupiter. How much do you trust me?"

Frank wasn't sure what Nico was talkiing about, but Jason didn't hesitate. He took the cup and drank. They passed it around, taking turns, each taking a sip of poison. Frank tried to keep his legs from shaking. He wondered what his grandmother would say if she could see him.

Stupid, Fai Zhang! If all your friends wee drinking poison, would you do it too?

Frank went last. The taste of the dark green liquid reminding him fo spoiled apple juice. He drained the remains, and the chalice turned to smoke in his hands.

Nico nodded, apparently satisfied. "Congratulations. Assuming the poison wouldn't kill us, we should be able to find our way through the Necromanteion's first level."

"Just the first level?" Piper asked.

Nico turned to Hazel and gestured at the stairs. "After you, sister."