Chapter Eleven

Lina’s POV

            My head was pounding as I walked out of the office and started the long journey up to the house; I could have taken the side-by-side but I didn’t think my head could take the sound of the engine running so walking was a better option, not to mention I think I’m still drunk and driving wasn’t a good idea at the time. It felt like someone was repeatedly hitting my head with a hammer and the sun was so bright I felt like it was blinding me every time I took my hand away from my eyes; I’m never drinking again I lied to myself as I made my way up the steps to the front porch. I took a deep breath and braced myself for the mad woman I knew would be waiting for me on the other side as I opened the door and walked in; I took a quick glance around as I slipped off my boots and tiptoed towards the stairs; if I could only make it to my room before she found me I could deal with her after a long shower and some pain killers for my head.

“Katalina Walker you get your buns in here right now!” My mothers loud southern voice echoed through the house from the kitchen; I groaned again as I froze on the bottom step. You would swear that woman has some type of supernatural hearing, how did she even hear me come in; I was quieter than a mouse. Maybe she has cameras set up in here; I looked around at the ceiling as I would find one but came up with nothing.

“Yes momma.” I answered tiredly as I stumbled my way into the kitchen; I bounced off a few walls on the way there. Yep, still drunk.

“You missed breakfast!” She declared the obvious.

“I know momma.” I answered leaning against the wall in the kitchen; she was peeling potatoes for a roast and didn’t look in my direction.

“Well where were you? I seen your truck outside so I know you came home last night.” She was trying to get me to admit that I came home drunk and stayed in the barn like I usually did.

“I came in late and didn’t want to wake you so I stayed in the tack room.” I said slowly making my way to a kitchen chair; I wasn’t in any shape to be standing for too long and I knew that she wasn’t going to let me get off that easy.

“Landon has been callin’ here all mornin’ what’s going on between the two of you?” She asked next still not looking my general direction.

“We broke up momma; I don’t wanna’ talk to him.” I huffed out laying my head down on my crossed arms on the table; god this headache really needed to go away, her loud voice wasn’t helping any either. You would think with me being in the same room she would at least lower it an octave or two.

“Broke up?” She said sounding offended by the very idea. “You need to work things out with that boy; you two have been together for too long just to throw it all away.” My momma has always loved Landon and was clearly upset at the idea of us not being together anymore. She knew that Landon would take over his daddies farm someday and always thought that we made a good couple and I would be set for life with him even if I didn’t take over this farm when my daddy was too old to manage it.

“Momma we’re not gettin’ back together so just get over it.” I practically yelled back at her; I know she had no idea what happened between us but it still pissed me off that she was trying to control my life and push us back together.