Chapter Nine

Lina’s POV

            Friday started off like any other day on the farm; Jon was starting to get the hang of everything and was settling in nicely. He finally got the hang of how to properly use a pitchfork, I have to say I have never met someone so illiterate to farm tools than that man; I guess it should have been expected seeing that he grew up in the city but I wasn’t used to having people around that weren’t used to working on the farm. He was becoming a great friend and I loved spending time with him; I felt like I could really be myself around him, he never judged me for the things I said or did, it was refreshing not to have to try and keep up a certain imagine around someone for a change. I was normally expected to uphold the imagine of a wealthy horse breeders daughter; show respect to all the rich assholes who came to buy horses from us, people who didn’t deserve the mud off the bottom of my boots let alone any respect. I was always taught to treat people how you would like to be treated but it was hard to do that with some of the customers that we had; the people who sat up on their high horse and expected you to bow at their every move, people like that drove me crazy.

            I grew up with a lot of money but my family never flaunted it, we lived like any other farmer in the south; you got what you needed and nothing more, we were happy with the small things in life and never strived to keep up a certain imagine like most of the people that bought our horses did. We did attend a lot of functions held by our local country club but we went to support our business not to show our wealth like most of the people there did; I was happier in jeans and a button up shirt than I was in a fancy expensive dress any day so instead of looking forward to the meetings I more like dreaded going to them. It was hard to uphold an image of someone that I wasn’t; playing the part of rich girl was never my style and that’s why I preferred to stay working on the farm over being in the office dealing with customers like my father always was. Its not like he was always dressed in a suit or acted like he was better than everyone else but he was much better at pretending to be someone he wasn’t than I was; my mother wasn’t bad at it either, she actually enjoyed the times when she got to get all dressed up and go out to show off the fancier things in life.

            As the day went on it seemed like the work was never ending on the farm; where we would have normally been done by five we worked until it was time for dinner. We had just finished dinner when the load of hay we had been waiting on all day finally showed up and as much as I just wanted to go shower and get ready for Juniors party I knew I needed to help unload it. Everyone else had already went home for the day so the task of unloading was left up to me and Jon; when we finished our meals we headed out to the barn and started what felt like the never ending task of unloading the hay bales from the truck. Harry, the guy that brought the hay sat in his truck listening to the radio while Jon and I broke our backs working to unload it; I expected that out of Harry, he was the son of one of my fathers’ friends and every time he brought us hay he had never offered to help with unloading it, lazy fucker. We were a little over half way through when I heard Landon call out my name from by the office.

“Hey babe, why aren’t ya’ ready?” He asked after placing a quick kiss on my lips when I walked up.

“I have to help unload this hay it showed up late.” I said motioning over my shoulder towards Jon who was still tossing the bales off the trailer.

“Well we have Juniors party tonight.” He said sounding annoyed that I wasn’t ready yet. “How long ya’ going to be?” He looked down at his watch before returning his eyes to me.