Chapter 33

Kayla's POV

After I got back from spending most of the day with Mum and Dad I went straight to my room. I didn't see anyone on my way there, so it just made me wonder where they could be. I thought about everything that had happened today. When Dad finished talking to me and Mum caught up with us we had gotten ice cream. We had made small talk and I found out that Dad had plenty of corny, bad joke up his sleeve. When I got into my room I sat on my bed, with my phone in my hands. I turned it around with my fingers as I thought. One call couldn't hurt anyone, and I had said I would call them. More like promised and I wasn't one to brake a promise. I found the courage and finally pressed the call button. As I waited I played with the hem of my shirt.

It rang five times, I started to doubt that anyone would answer. Just as I was about to hang up, I heard a soft voice on the other end. "Hello, this is Cassandra speaking."

"Hi." I replied after a few long seconds.

"I'm sorry, who is this?" she asked.

"It's, um, Kayla Mathews. I used to live next door to you." I told her, suddenly feeling shy. "I... I owed you a call."

"Oh my god! Kayla, is that seriously you?" she screamed. I moved the phone away from my ear.

"Yeah, it's me." I said.

"I was going to call, but then Anniella being Anniella managed to delete every single contact in this blasted phone." she sighed. "I seriously doubt that I am related to her, but that is getting off topic. How are you honey?"

"I-I'm good." I answered.

"Is your mother treating you okay?" she replied. "Because you do know that I will come and get you if she isn't."

"She's not my mother."

"Oh, you know." Was all she said.

'How does she know?' I thought. I thought that she might have been a little shocked, but it was almost like she had been waiting for the day that I found out.

My thoughts were interrupted when I heard her call out, "Anni, get your butt in here!" Then there was footsteps and mumbling. "I'm just going to put you on speaker okay honey."

"Kayla!" Anniella squealed.

"God, you still definitely have some lungs in you." I groaned in response.

"Hey! Respect your elders." she told me sternly.

"Are you saying that you are old?" I asked.

"Do not put words into my mouth." she said sternly, but I knew she was smiling.

"We are getting off topic." I heard Cassandra sigh. "Kayla, are you still with Dena?"

"No." I replied.

"You rebel." I heard Anniella laughed.

"What? Where are you living then? Did you run away? Do you understand how irresponsible that is?" Cassandra asked, not pausing once.

"Don't worry. I'm safe." I told them. "I'm with my boyfriends family." I paused. "And I kind of met my biological parents."

"What?!" Cassandra replied. "You need to go back and explain this whole thing to us..."

"You have a boyfriend?" Anniella asked, interrupting her sister. "Is he cute? Are his eyes dreamy? What's his name? Does he love you?" she sighed dreamily. "I bet you two are adorable together. And yes I expect you to answer every one of those questions in great detail."

"His name is Lucas, Lucas Carter." I started.

"Stop answering Anni's questions, they're not that important." Cassandra said. "What is this about your parents?"