Chapter 36

Kayla's POV

I didn't know what to do, I just stood there, almost frozen. I don't even remember how I got back to the house. Lucas was standing next to me, he had one arm around me and my head was resting on his shoulder. A big, warm blanket, with all the colours of the rainbow, was the only thing that covered me. My clothes had been destroyed when I changed into my wolf and leapt out of the window, which I realised now probably hadn't been a good idea. Anniella and Cassandra were lying on the ground, still in their wolf forms. I swear I saw Anniella roll her eyes as Isaac started to lecture her about how dangerous showing up here when there were rogues was dangerous. Patrick was sitting next to Cassandra, running his fingers through her fur. The four of them looked happy, even though they had all had a few issues in the time they had been here. Seeing them like this reminded me of what my life had been like before, expect I had never seen any of them in their wolf forms before. Both of the sisters had white wolves, that looked similar to mine, and were about the same height. If it had just been the two of them in the room with me I probably wouldn't have been able to tell them apart.

I had no idea where Mason, my parents or even Lucas's brother were. It seemed to be only the six of us in the house. Though each couple stayed to themselves. I wondered what was going to happen when everyone else returned. Would we become a family, a real one? What would Dad's reaction be? I couldn't stop myself worrying about something bad happening. If something did occur, I knew there would be little I could do to fix a problem. I would just have to go with it, cross my fingers and hope that everything turned out okay in the end.

"You should go get changed." Lucas whispered into my ear, breaking me out of my own thoughts. I simply nodded in reply, then made my way slowly to my room. I became so lost in my own world that it was if someone else was controlling my body as I slipped into the nearest pair of clothes and sat on the end of the bed. I didn't even notice Lucas walk into my room and sit down next to me until he placed one of his hands over one of my own. He chuckled when I jumped a little in surpise.

"Just relax, Kay. There's not much we can do now but wait until my father and your parents come back from wherever they have run off to." he said as he rub his knuckles along the side of my cheek. "So we may as well take a nap or something, because I for one feel as though this has been a long day and it probably isn't even over now. Therefore, I do not want to miss a second of the drama or whatever that is about to come, just because I'm tired." He lay down on his back and placed his hands behind his head, then closed his eyes. My wolf was begging me to lie down next to him, so I did. As I lay there I took in all of his features. His jet black hair was a little longer than it was when I had first met him, but to me he looked good with his hair either way. I moved my hand slowly to brush aside some of the hairs that fell over his forehead, trying not to disturb him, but he startled me by wrapping on of his arms around me quickly and pulling me towards his chest. Though I didn't say anything, I just enjoyed been close to him. The playful smile that played across his lips did not go unnoticed by me. His grip on me tightened slightly and I laughed before I closed my eyes.

It was nice to just lie next him, it felt like it was just the two of us in our own universe. There was no one else, the worry I was feeling had disappeared and I would be lying if I said I didn't feel like a normal sixteen year old girl who was just cuddling with her also normal boyfriend. I felt like someone who didn't know that some of the creature they were told about as a child actually did go bump in the night. I felt like someone who didn't have a confusing, somewhat messed up family.

I don't know when I fell asleep or how long I had slept for, all I knew was that a door closing shut loudly was what woke me. Lucas sat up next to me and held out one of his hands, which I grabbed before standing up and made my way to the lounge room. The first person I saw was my Mum, she gave me a small smile then looked at Anniella and Cassandra. Who, in the time I had spent alone with Lucas, had shifted back into their human forms and found a pair of clothing each. I noticed that Patrick and Isaac had moved to stand in front of them, and Mum was standing in front of Dad. No one was moving. I saw Mason standing in the middle of them, slightly off to the side. I didn't miss that Lucas hugged me from behind and had a tighter hold than necessary. Though I ignored that and watched the scene in front of me unfold.