Chapter 1

Kayla's POV

I was running. Something was chasing after me and it didn't sound like a small something. Leaves were rustling and twigs snapped. My light blonde hair flowed out behind me. A deep growling filled my ears. My legs were burning, I couldn't keep this up for much longer. I felt like I couldn't breathe. My head was throbbing. And there were black splotches invading my vision. I twisted and turned through the gaps between tall trees. Then my foot got hooked on an exposed tree root. And I fell forward. I put my right arm out to break my fall and heard something crack, then a pain in my forearm. Something heavy landed on my back, pinning me down. I felt their hot break on my neck, it made my hairs stand on end. A wet, sticky drop of of saliva landed on the middle of the back of my neck. I felt myself shaking. I was too scared to care out of help. Something pulled the collar of the back of my shirt back. I tried not to make a single noise, but then a scream left my lips as a rough, wet tongue ran between my shoulder blades.

I snapped up awake. Confused I looked around. I was in my room. The newly painted pale blue walls comforted me, slightly, they still had that weird paint fumes smell to them. The sheet that I slept under was twisted around me, as I had probably been thrashing in my sleep. My breathing was uneven.

'This was the third time this week I'd had that nightmare, and it was only Wednesday', I thought as I ran the back of my left hand across my damp forehead. My body was soaked in sweat.

After a few minutes I worked up the courage to run into the bathroom that was down the hall. I closed the door as quietly as I could behind me. I didn't want to wake up mum, or Gavin. God, I hated him. He was mums 'partner'. They met on e-harmony about two years ago. And I think he is a total douche, and my mum is too good for him. Even though I'm fifteen, almost sixteen (in two weeks and five days, not that I'm counting), I always act like an immature five year old brat around him. But it's not my fault he gets on every single one of my nerves or sets me up to get in trouble. I just have a feeling deep down that there is a thing or two off about him. I looked at my reflection in the mirror. My blonde hair had fallen out of its ponytail and was everywhere. Dark half circles run under my pale blue eyes. I sighed then splashed some cold water on my face, after another couple of minutes I went back to my room. I lay there trying to go to sleep.

'Good luck with that.' An unfamiliar voice laughed. It was high pitched and feminine.

I sat up and looked around but saw no one. I was hearing voices, wasn't that the first sign about going crazy? Great. If it was true I could put it on my résumé, but that would probably just get me locked up in a padded cell. At least I'd get a complementary jacket, with really long sleeves.

No matter what I tried I couldn't get back to sleep. I counted sheep, but that just made me hungry. So I just lay there, my stomach making retarded sounds as I started to think about steak.

-------------------------------------------------------

I only ended up get five or so more minutes sleep, well more the that but you know what I mean. I groaned as light flooded into my room through my open window. The curtains on either side fluttered gently as a breeze brushed past them. A harsh chill stayed in my room for a few seconds then disappeared. I slowly stood up, stretching my arms above my head as I did. I yawned then began to walk down to the kitchen.

Walking into a wall at every corner. I still wasn't used to the floor-plan of this house, but we had only moved in about three weeks ago. I scratched my head as I walked into the kitchen. It was small but... I actually couldn't think of a but. It was just small, tiny, microscopic. Gavin walked passed me. His eyes were on my chest. I looked down. I was only wearing a singlet top and pyjama shorts. God, he was such a perv. I swear one of his eyebrows rose and he licking his lips. Talk about disturbing!

What did my mum even see in this guy? Was he secretly a millionaire? Or just as he appeared? Someone who was unemployed and couldn't wait to get down to the nearest Centerlink once every fortnight, to splurge off the doll.

"Good morning, Kayla." he said, his eyes hadn't move. They were still focused on my chest.

I resisted the urge to slap him and just hunched my shoulders over. I quickly poured some cereal into my bowl, then some milk. I grabbed a spoon, then headed back to my room. I could hear mum in the shower. I closed my door behind me, then sat down with my back against it. I had hardly left this room for the past three weeks. Only coming out when I needed food or had to go to the bathroom or stuff like that.

'Call me antisocial,' I thought.

'ANTISOCIAL!' The same voice from last night chanted. I looked around, where was it coming from. My imagination wasn't that great. Unless I was dreaming. Then it would run wild.

"Who said that?" I asked. There was no reply. This was really weird.

I'm probably just going crazy, I thought reassuringly. Yeah, out of my mind cray-cray. Great.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hi everyone. This is the first thing I've written and kind of published, so I just want to know what you think, I hope you like it :) Sorry its short, but I'm just starting out, the chapters will get longer as it gets further into the story