Chapter 12

Lucas's POV

'She's shifting!' my wolf shouted in my head.

'Shit! What do I do?' I asked.

'I don't know, this is kind of a first for me too you know.' he paused. 'Just try and remember the first time you shifted. What did the people around you do?'

'Nothing, they just stood and watched.' I replied.

'Oh right, yeah. Do the opposite to that.'

'What, sit and stare at something else?'

'Smart ass.' he mumbled in a growl. I was taken out of my thoughts when Kayla screamed. I saw tears running down her face. Her leg was twisted at a weird angle and her whole body was shaking. Then her shoulder pushed itself back, dislocating itself. She cried out in pain when it pushed itself back in.

"It hurts!" she whined.

"I know, I know it does." I replied as I stroked her hair.

"What's happening to..." she was cut off by her own screams. I didn't like the fact that she was in pain, but there was nothing I could do about it.

But I knew I had to get her somewhere else. She couldn't stay her screaming in the middle of a street.

Kayla POV

I can't believe I forgot my own birthday, that was kind of stupid. I remember getting together with Piper and talking about our sixteenths. Even though it was only a few months ago it felt like it was years in the past.

Lucas hugged me gently and whispered into my ear, "Happy birthday." I sighed happily and put my arms around him. But then a pain in my leg started. Small at first, then unbelievable. I heard a snap and I screamed, I looked and saw my leg was twisted weirdly. Then my shoulder was pulled back, but no one was touching me, only Lucas. I cried out when it pushed itself back into place.

"It hurts!" I whined.

"I know, I know it does." he replied as he stroked my hair.

"What's happening to..." I was cut off by my own screams. My whole body felt like it was on fire, my head hurt and my heart was racing. I felt tears running down my cheeks.

"It's okay." he said soothingly. "It's okay." But it didn't feel like it was okay. I screamed as my right leg fell out from underneath me but he held me up. I didn't want to look back it was hard enough hearing and feeling the pain without seeing it.

I lifted my head and saw that we were no longer on the path next to the road but surrounded by trees. Lucas shifted me around in his arms so he now held me in a bridal carriage. He was moving quickly, but I wasn't really about to ask why. The pain hadn't dulled.

My neck twisted to the side, I heard a snap. The tears that came down from my eyes multiplied. My skin was burning but I was freezing cold at the same time. I didn't know what was happening but what felt like both an eternity and a second later I was placed on a cold floor.

My back arched and there was a pounding in my head. I looked at my hand and saw my nails lengthening. The hairs on my arms were growing longer. My stomach felt tight and I felt like I was about to throw up. Pain was everywhere. I screamed so many times that my throat felt raw.

"It's hurts!" I cried out. My body twisted and turned involuntarily.

"Shh.... I know, I know it hurts." he replied, trying to soothe me.

"I.... I can't do it." I whispered as I closed my eyes.

"No! Kayla, stay with me. Listen to my..." Lucas called out but his voice got more distant until I couldn't hear him.