Chapter 4

Kayla's POV

The house was huge. I wanted to say something, but my lips wouldn't move. Lucas was being really nice to me. He had gotten me a glass of water and just let my lie on the couch. There had been crying upstairs, and when he came back he had a baby in his arms. Eighteen months I guessed. He gave the baby to one of the twins. I didn't know which, the one that wasn't on the phone I guess.

"Hey! I said dibs on not doing it!" they exclaimed.

"He's not just my brother, he's yours too. So learn to put up with him." Lucas replied in a mocking tone. He turned to me saying, "Here's a blanket, in case you get cold."

Unlikely. I didn't even feel the cold. But I took the blanket anyway and draped it over my shoulders, feeling myself blush as I did.

"Thank you." I whispered.

"It's okay." he replied. He was smiling. And just from seeing that I want to smile as well, but I just couldn't. "Is there anything else you need? Food will be here in half an hour."

'He's so kind!' The voice shrieked. 'Kiss him! Kiss him!'

'No!' I thought. 'I... I don't even know him.'

'Your choice.' she scoffed. 'But he's so cute!' her voice sounding like screeching.

I sighed and closed my eyes. Not only was I hearing voices, I just started talking to them. I noticed the blanket moving. I opened one eye to see Lucas gently covering me with it. His touch was featherlight and warm, unlike Gavin's. The thought of that man made me feel like I was about to be sick. I wanted to run to mum and tell her what happened, but he said if I did he'd do something to me. I hate being threatened. Because it makes me feel weak.

The smell of pepperoni brought me back into the world around me, I sat up abruptly. I must have zoned out, I did that a lot. The doorbell rang. It sounded loud. Lucas stood up, pulling his wallet out of his pocket. He opened the door and counted out the money as Drew, I think, swooped in and grabbed the pizzas. There were a few boxes. He kept walking down the hallway. I pushed the blanket back and stood up. I stretched my arms above my head and looked down at what I was wearing. Oh, jeez. Orange track suit pants and a plain green shirt. I found my backpack sitting on the floor next to me. I searched through it, finding my favourite pair of denim jeans and my phone. It was seven-thirty and mum haven't even tried to contact me.

"Um, where's the bathroom?" I asked Lucas.

"Down there and second door to the right. Why?" he replied.

"I obviously had no fashion sense when I got dressed." I told him.

"I think you look cute." he smiled.

'OMG! He did just say that!' The voice squealed.

I didn't really know what to do. So I just smiled and walked into the bathroom. I closed the door behind me and changed my pants. After, I looked into the mirror on the cabinet above the sink and ran my fingers through my hair a couple times. Trying to fix it. Then I followed the lovely smell of meat.

I used to be a vegetarian. I was for two years. Then meat just became so appealing. That was five months ago. I licked my lips and found myself going back into the living room. A floorboard creaked under my weight and all heads snapped my way. Seven to be exact.

"Everyone, this is Kayla." Lucas's voice was loud and strong. "Kayla, you've already met Drew, Dylan and Tyler. But there's also Charlie, Nick and Sam." he pointed to them as he said their names. The second youngest of them, he could only be five or six, ran up to me and laced his arms around my leg. He was smiling up at me. I tried my best to return it. "Hey, Sam, come finish your dinner before I eat it." Lucas joked. The little boy ran back to where he had been sitting before. I didn't know where to go. The couch I had been on before was vacant, but I'd have to walk in front of all of them. I just leaned against the doorframe as I thought.

"Kayla, come sit down." Lucas said as he patted the empty space next to him. I felt my cheeks turn bright red and I looked down at the floor as I walked closer to him. He handed me a box, yes not a plate but a box. I opened it to see half a meat lovers pizza. I sat down next to him. His left elbow brushed softly against my right one and our knees were almost touching. I could feel his eyes on me. My cheeks flared up even more. I picked up a piece of the pizza and as soon as the taste touched my tongue I realised how hungry I was. I chowed down on the rest of the slice, and it was gone in a matter of seconds. I quickly ate the other slices in front of me. As I was licking my fingers I heard him chuckling next to me, "My, my, you don't hold back do you?" I froze.

"I... I..." I tried to speak but when I looked into his chocolate brown eyes I couldn't make my mouth move.

"I'm just joking. Do you want something to drink?" he asked. I looked down and shook my head. "Are you okay? You seem a little on edge."

"I'm fine." I replied. Barely a whisper. I jumped when he put his hand on my knee and rubbed his thumb gently against it.

"If anyone hurt you, I promise I will never let it happen again." he voice was kind. I felt my heart flutter.

'God-dammit! Kiss him already.' the voice hissed. I sighed and tried to block her out.

--------------------------------------------------

I had the dream again. It was the same as always. Me running, then falling to the ground. The weight above me. I woke up in the same cold sweat. I was on one of the couches. I left my head fall back. Closing my eyes as I wriggled to get into a comfortable position. My eyelids were heavy and I fell into a dreamless sleep.