Blade

I woke up to the sound of Hazel in the shower. I glanced at the clock and read six pm. Cade was gone, I wasn't going to ask where. I got dressed into regular clothes and placed my blades in the regular spots: two in boots, one in my waist and another in my pocket. I figured I wouldn't need my bow or arrows, considering tomorrow was my first normal day of school in a while.

"Sami, is that you?" Hazel calls from the now silent shower.

"Yeah, if you hurry we can still catch dinner." I call to her pulling my brown, curly hair into a pony tail.

"Alright give me five minutes." She calls back.

I reluctantly lift up my shirt, and remove the bandages. The scars are thin, but there. They add to my collection. I slip on a jacket and wait patiently for Hazel. Once she's ready we stroll out into the cafeteria. Once we enter, the room dims down for a couple seconds before picking back up. I could feel the stares on me like bugs crawling all over my skin. It was uncomfortable and made me want to run and hide.

"Hey." Ash says blankly to Hazel and I as we sit down.

"Hey, Sam! How are you feeling?" Ivy asks from a table over.

"I'm great, thanks." I lie slightly.

The pain was mostly gone, but I could still feel the guilt of freezing in a combat zone eating away at me.

"What's wrong?" Cade asks appearing at the table eyeing my carefully.

I shake my head, indicating nothing.

"Sam, please don't do this again." Hazel pleads.

"Do what?" I ask innocently although I know the answer.

"Shut yourself away. What's bothering you?" Hazel asks.

I pause for a moment before locking eye contact with Cade. He raises his eyebrows in expectation. I look back at Hazel and realize the table was waiting for my response.

"Fine." I give in.

"Well?" Ash says once I don't continue.

"I..I froze." I whisper to them.

"What do you mean?" Cade asks.

"I mean I froze. When they pulled out the gun, it wasn't something I expected. I froze and just took the hits rather than trying to dodge or even reverse the gun." I explain quietly.

"Nobody thinks about it like that though." An unfamiliar voice says from behind me.

"Who are you?" Hazel questions turning around and looking the person up and down.

"Jacob." He introduces himself as I turn to face him.

He was much taller than I realized at about 6'1". He had brown hair with daring green eyes. His tall figure didn't make him lean at all. In fact, he was well built, with well defined facial features.

"Again, who are you?" Cade asks in an annoyed tone.

"I'm replacing Tanner in Top Class. I kind of assisted Sam last week." Jacob says.