Shadows

I ducked as Hazel swung the stick just above my head. She grunted out of frustration. Sweat dripped down me as I avoided Hazel's offensive attacks. I read her eyes, and swung my left arm up, protecting my head as the stick swung through the air at a high speed. I grabbed the rim of it, and twisted it out of her grasp. I swung it at her, but she avoided it easily. I tried to stab her, but she stepped left, avoiding it, then gained control and hit my side with it. I stumbled over just as she went in for the kill. I simply side-stepped and she tripped. I kicked her legs out from under her and choked her with the stick. She chuckled as I got off her.

"Your sword skills just keep improving." She tells me as I help her to her feet.

"Only because I have the best sword operator in all of North America. And you totally let me win." I tell her sincerely.

"Whatever." Hazel modestly tells me.

Then, her eyes dart to behind me. She gives me a look, and I turn to face a three person line approaching us. Three girls, who Hazel absolutely disgusts. The one in the middle was the worst.

"Stay quiet." I order Hazel as they get close.

"So, I heard you lost duels to that eighth grader last Friday." Becca hisses at Hazel.

I step slightly, putting my foot between her and Hazel. I watch out of the corner of my eyes as students began forming a circle around us.

"Go away, Becca." I answer for Hazel.

"Look, I just wanted to know why our class head is loosing DUELS to an EIGHTH GRADER." Becca snaps at Hazel.

"Leave her alone." I quietly ordered.

"What are you going to do about it, Sami? Show me what you can do without your precious arrows." She snottily challenges.

I felt Hazel cautiously get close to me, gesturing me to calm down. Then, she turns and walks away.

"Pussy!" Doll, the one on the right, says.

I roll my eyes, and turn around, following Hazel. Before I could take my second step, an arm grabs mine. I throw my free fist at their face, but a different hand catches it. I turn to face a boy with dark black hair and purple eyes. His angel half was coursing strongly.

"It's not worth it." Ash tells me.

Becca turns and walks away quickly. I watch as her minions follow her. Then, I pull my fist out of Ash's grasp roughly. Feeling Hazel's presence made me jump. I turned to face her frustrated look.

"Thanks, Ash." She murmurs, not breaking our eye contact.

He nods and walks down the hall. Hazel looks at me disappointedly, then goes in the direction Ash went. The rest of the students continue walking, satisfied.

"Hazel, she grabbed my arm. I lost it, I'm sorry." I plead catching up to her.

"Next time, you're standing behind me." She snaps turning to face me.

Before I could answer, she adds, "you can't just go around beating everyone up. It doesn't solve anything."

"It does if you do it right." I mumble.

Before Hazel could think of some sassy comment to snap back at me, the bell rang. It was first period, time for Hazel to go to magic class and me to go to combat classes. Hazel is an "Unicum" meaning she has her powers. Most demelic people do. I go to Ashton High, a boarding school for teenagers like Hazel. We are all half Demon, half Angel. Schools like this one teach us to access our inner Angel in order to help protect the human race. Sometimes people don't choose the right side, sometimes it's not a choice. Eventually we either turn into a demon or stay half-and-half. We protect humans. It's our job. All those creatures you've seen in movies, or read about in books, they're all real. Surprise! If you don't believe me, that means we've done our job right. Sometimes a ghost or two slips out of our grasp, but we eventually catch up to all of them. We train constantly, then during freshman year, we are sent on our first hunt. We have classes, which are separated by skill. The top class, which Hazel and I are in, along with Ash, Becca and a few others, is the best of the best in our grade. Then its Private Class, Specialist Class, so on and so forth. The top class deals with vampires, werewolves, genies, etc. Those below us deal with ghosts, mutants, sea monsters, etc.