Chapter 18

[A/N: Dedicated to Nightwraith22. The answer is that it was a defective model of Talos. Also, thanks to percabeth_love_ and anyone else that commented for motivating me to write. I'll try to get back to updating every week. Without further ado, chapter 18!]

Percy's POV

'I can't believe this is happening again...' I thought as Annabeth and I moved to opposite sides of the monster, both of us trying to make Kampe ignore the other.

Out of the corner of my eye, I noticed the other members of our quest joining us in a ring around her, warily waiting for someone to make the first move. Kampe screeched and swung her scimitars toward Annabeth and Thalia, who were standing next to each other, and forced them to roll backward out of the way. She continued the motion, moving them fluidly into a full circle, forcing us all back.

Silena had slightly mistimed her roll and was still trying to get back on her feet when Kampe slammed one of her feet onto Silena's chest, holding one sword right above her. She was struggling, trying to stay away from the snakes that were attached to Kampe's leg, and flinched as a drop of green poison fell onto her shoulder.

Kampe's sword flashed down, and I knew if it hit it's mark, I would never forgive myself. I threw my hands out, hoping I still had enough power to make a quick shield. It solidified above Silena's face just as the sword crashed down onto it, causing her to flinch involuntarily.

That distraction gave Luke just enough time to race over and send a pulse of Chaos power at Kampe, pushing her off Silena. Luke quickly pulled her behind him and held his sword up, aimed directly at Kampe's chest.

Our only archer, Thalia, was constantly firing arrows, even though it didn't seem to have any effect. We tried to circle her again, though this time we were more cautious, staying farther back. She seemed to be particularly watching Luke now, meaning I would have to figure out how to draw her attention to myself somehow.

Kampe spun her blades in mesmerizing patterns, creating a cloud of poison around her.

"What are we supposed to do, Omicron?" Nico yelled over to me.

I thought through our options and turned to Luke. "Remember that one time we-"

"Yeah," he cut in. "I do."

"Well, anytime you're ready, then," I replied, impatiently.

He gave a quick, sarcastic salute with his sword and disappeared into a portal of Chaos energy. I really hope this works...

Kampe looked confused until Luke dropped out of a portal above her, falling onto her back. At least, he would have if he'd been faster. Instead, Kampe whirled around faster than what should've been possible and moved one of her swords into the other hand to catch him.

Luke's face contorted in pain and he dropped his sword as Kampe tightened her claws around his chest, squeezing the breath from his lungs. "Lambda!" I screamed as she pushed off and soared above us on her bat wings, screeching in triumph. I desperately tried to summon my power, but I had used far too much of it lately. There was nothing I could do.

Luke managed to say one last thing using our mind link before they disappeared through the hole in the ceiling of the cavern. "Tell them...."

And then he was gone.

Annabeth's POV

We just stood there in a stunned silence for a while, staring at the spot where Lambda had been only moments before. Even the Romans looked surprised.

Finally, Omicron turned away. "We need to figure out what we're going to do next," he said, completely ignoring the Romans.

"You're not going anywhere!" Caligula yelled, pushing his way through the crowd. "You must still be executed!"