Chapter 25

[A/N: Dedicated to MJ-Booklover. His alias was Quintus because he was on his fifth automaton body.]

Percy's POV

I stepped out of the portal and into the Void, knowing that my master would not be pleased.

I walked slowly into the throne room, wanting to delay my punishment, if only momentarily. I caught a glimpse of movement in the corner of my eyes and realized that the four Void beings were already there. Well, hopefully they will share some of the blame.

I paused, wondering why I was so worried about reporting my failure, then shook it off, straightening up and continuing toward the throne. I knelt when I reached it, bowing my head and waiting for a signal to report what had occurred.

"Rise, Commander," Void said, and I stood to face him and Erebus. "You failed. You focused on one particular target, when you should have focused on everyone. You could have single-handedly destroyed them, but something held you back. What was it?"

"Nothing held me back, sir. I just thought that taking out the head of camp would throw them into disarray and would leave them without a strong leader. Now, it will be simple to finish them off," I responded.

Void flicked a finger, releasing a small amount of his power and throwing me backward. "I don't want them in disarray," he practically snarled, stalking toward me. "I want them all destroyed! If you can't take orders, then maybe I need a new commander."

I stood up, carefully keeping my head down. "I apologize for not following my orders. It won't happen again"

I could feel Void's eyes on me, but I knew looking up would just make it worse.

"Erebus," Void said softly, "I think our Commander needs to remember what his job is exactly if he is to continue to hold his position. Would you like to remind him?"

"It would be my pleasure," Erebus said, suddenly appearing at Void's side.

He snapped his fingers and I fell into the portal that he created underneath me. This time, instead of instantly being transported to a new area, I continued to fall through what seemed to be a dark tunnel leading straight down. I reached out, trying to find a wall or something I could use to slow down, but nothing was there. Eventually, I gave up, recognizing that there was absolutely nothing I could do to change my situation.

After an amount of time that I could not measure-it could have been weeks, or merely minutes-Erebus appeared before me. "Are you ready for your next session?" he asked. "Not that you'll remember this when it is over."

I frowned, confused, when a blast of dark matter shot from his hand and struck me in the forehead, throwing my head back. I had a moment to think that this had happened to me before, when I lost consciousness, feeling like my very identity was being stripped from me.

Nico's POV

I walked slowly toward the amphitheater, dreading what all of us who were left would have to go through next. Of course I had seen the deaths of many demigods in my time, having been around for a few hundred years, but this one was different. This one was...Chiron.

I stayed in the shadows, moving up the side of the amphitheater to sit down next to Bianca. "How are you holding up?" she whispered, looking at me with concern.

"How do you think?" I replied, staring at the twenty-seven already lit shrouds at the front on either side of the largest one. Annabeth was slowly approaching it with a torch, wiping her eyes constantly as she went.

Everyone was completely silent, watching Annabeth. She stopped in front of it and carefully set the torch against a corner of the shroud, which was made out of a coarse material like horse hair. It went up in flames instantly, burning higher and brighter than any of the other shrouds. No one could have seen this one coming. Chiron was...a constant presence. Someone who had always been around and always would be. At least, that's what we had thought.

Bianca wrapped her arm around my shoulders, trying to give me what comfort she could. I allowed her to try for a moment, then I shrugged her off and stood up, wanting to be alone.

I had made it to the edge of the amphitheater when I saw Nick stand up and turn to face the rest of us in front of Chiron's burning shroud. I stopped immediately, raising my fist and preparing to summon the dead to force him out of the amphitheater if he said anything to disrespect Chiron.

"Campers," he began, "this is a very difficult time for all of us."

I snorted, noticing that he didn't look very broken up about any of the people that had just died.

"I believe the astounding number of deaths that have occurred recently is a wake-up call to all of us, a call that shows us we need new leadership and unity to face the ever growing threat to us and to Olympus. As the sole director left in the wake of our beloved mentor Chiron's death, I will be leading all strategy and defense from here on. No one is better suited to the task than I am, and I will make sure that none of us have to see a scene like what is before us today ever again."

He went and sat down again, so I lowered my fist, deciding I wasn't in the mood to deal with his stupidity right now. I left the amphitheater, not really sure where I planned on going. Somehow, I found myself standing before the Poseidon cabin. I pushed the door open and stopped, breathing in the scent of the ocean.

I closed the door behind me, sitting down on what had been Percy's bed. "I know it wasn't your fault, Percy. You were being controlled. I forgive you for Chiron's death. I just want you to come back. We need you if we're going to have any chance of surviving the next battle."

I sighed, knowing that all of this was just making me feel worse. I stood up and went to the door, turning back slightly as I opened it. "What did they do to you, Percy?"

[A/N: What did Quintus give Percy before he went into the labyrinth?]