Chapter 2

Percy's POV (still 300 years ago)

When I woke up, I was all alone in a bare room and it was so dark I couldn't see an inch in front of my face. I had no idea how big the room was, but it seemed fairly small, and felt like it was made out of a type of stone that was unusually dry. I guess since they got me in the Poseidon cabin they would know about my water powers, but I was still hoping there'd be something I could work with. Even the air seemed unnaturally dry, like all of the water was being sucked right out of it. There was nothing I could use to get out of here.

I tried to sit up, but I felt extremely cold and all of my joints felt frozen. I figured it must be some effect of whatever that crazy black phantom had done to me. I was afraid of what he'd do to me now. I mean, hadn't I been through enough?

I started slowly moving my joints to warm them up so that I could figure out how I was being held and how large the room was. Before I had the chance to even completely bend my leg, I heard the creak of a door being opened somewhere to my left. I couldn't hear any footsteps, but I felt the same presence that I had felt when I was kidnapped move closer to me. The black face suddenly appeared in front of me, as if he had kneeled down, even though I still didn't hear anything. This guy must be like the world's best ninja.

"So, you're finally awake. I must say it's been a while since I last spoke to you," he whispered.

"A while, huh? How long is that? You immortals always look at time differently. At least I'm assuming you're immortal. You sure seem like it."

"Very astute of you to notice. I thought you weren't supposed to be the smart one," he answered.

I smiled at him. "Really? You think you can just change the subject and get out of my question?"

"That's actually what I came down here to tell you," he smugly whispered back (don't ask me how he managed to make his whisper sound smug, he just did). "You've been down here for a year."

That completely shocked me out of a witty comeback, and all I could do was stare at him in disbelief. "A...a year?" I stuttered. "How?"

"I'm a Primordial god. I can do things that you could only dream of, which is how I snuck into your precious camp. It wasn't even difficult. And here's what I'm planning on doing to you...

--Present-

Okay, I'm sorry. I would just keep showing you flashbacks, but I'm ADHD. This is taking wayyyy too long. So here's the short version:

Basically, the amazing ninja guy was Erebus, one of Chaos's two children. He's all about darkness, shadows, and scaring people to death, even more so than Hades, if that's possible. He kept me there for 25 years. He made me immortal after the first two years there, so I was stuck at the age of nineteen the whole time. I know now why he did that, but I didn't then, and I'd hate to ruin the surprise.

I was asleep for most of the time, but every year, he would wake me up to ask me a bunch of questions about Camp and all of my friends there. I was constantly worried about them. They were all growing up and living their lives, and I was stuck here. I mainly hoped that none of them had wasted their lives trying to come find me, but knowing them, they probably all searched for a while. I knew there wasn't much chance of them ever finding me and zero chance of me being able to break out, so I just had to hope they all had enough sense to move on, and that Annabeth had found someone else, no matter how much it hurt me.

So 25 years passed like that, with no physical torture at all, just mental torture, I guess you could call it, since all I could do was worry about my friends and wonder what they were doing now. That all ended when Chaos finally came and broke me out (I suppose I can show you a few more flashbacks)...

--275 years ago-

I woke up again one year later, just like I had been for a while now. I've actually lost track of how many times I've woken up, so I have no idea how long I've been here, but does it really matter?

I started my now-familiar routine of moving my joints to get rid of some of the stiffness, when I heard something out of the ordinary. Instead of the door opening, I heard what sounded like a muffled scuffle outside, like someone was fighting. Before I had time to really think about it, I heard the sound of something heavy hitting the door and sliding down it.

"What is going on?" I thought to myself. As if in answer to my question, a dark portal opened up to my left, by the door. A man stepped through, and he looked very similar to the man who had captured me, with some slight differences. His body was completely black, but it actually seemed darker and older than that of my captor. He felt much more powerful, and it practically radiated off of him in waves.

"Who are you?" I asked, maybe a little rudely. At that point, I really didn't care if I made someone else mad.

He just laughed and smiled at me, though it almost seemed a little forced; not completely natural. "I am Chaos, creator of the universe."

"Oh, um..." I didn't expect that one at all, I mean, this was the most powerful being in existence.

He looked at me kindly. "I'm here to get you out. You've been here far too long. I should've intervened long ago. The only problem is I can only get you out if you swear to join my army. I am in desperate need of a hero like you to command it."

That was hard. I didn't want to leave my friends, no matter how old they were now, but what were the chances that they would ever find me? If I joined the army, then at least there was a chance that I would meet them again.

"I swear on the River Styx that if you get me out of here, I will join your army." Thunder boomed somewhere in the distance, and that made me wonder where exactly I was. I quickly forgot it though, because then Chaos snapped his fingers and two portals opened up: one beneath him, and one under me.

We appeared in a throne room somewhere. It was even larger than the Olympians', but it only had one throne. The whole room was completely black, with silver trim. It was very plain, but somehow seemed even more intimidating than the throne room on Olympus.

"Welcome to the Void!" he boomed, spreading his arms out. He turned to me, looking at me critically. "Now, before you meet the rest of the army, you must have the full powers of my commander, or they won't respect or listen to you. Are you prepared to be in my army for as long as you are needed?"

I hesitated for a little bit, but I didn't really have much of a choice. I mean, he did save my life. "Yes."

"Will you carry out all of my commands, and be loyal only to me as long as you serve in my army?"

"Yes."

"Will you treat all of the soldiers under your command with the respect they are due as long as they show you the same back?"

"Yes."

"Then accept the power fit for my immortal commander," he finished, and black power flowed out of him and into me. I was immediately surrounded by a black sphere of raw power, and I tried my hardest not to scream. It was extremely painful, but exhilarating at the same time. I could feel some of the power that Chaos wielded. The only problem was it seemed...wrong somehow. Chaos created the universe, but all I felt was being able to destroy. I felt like I could annihilate an entire city with just a snap of my fingers.

When the sphere of power disappeared, I was kneeling on the ground, clenching my teeth together. I didn't even realize how hard I was doing it until it was all over. I looked up, and Chaos was smiling at me. His expression scared me. For just a split second, he looked almost...hungry, like he was a crazy ruler that was drunk with power. But then it disappeared and I put it in the back of my mind.

"Come along," he said, gesturing to the huge double doors across from the throne. "It's time to meet the rest of the army."

[A/N: I'm sorry if this is still a little boring, and I promise the whole back story thing will be over within the next few chapters, but it is really important. Hope you like it so far! :)]