Chapter 28

[A/N: Dedicated to ApolloTheFirst. The weird creatures who forged the scythe were telekhines.]

Annabeth's POV

"Percy?" I asked, carefully approaching his still form.

I immediately froze when he stirred slightly and groaned, waiting to see what he would do. He slowly pushed himself up into a crouching position, keeping his head down.

He stayed in that position for a while, so I decided to risk moving a little closer and reaching my hand out to him. I needed to know if the man kneeling before me was still Percy, or if Void's power had changed him completely.

My hand was almost touching his hair, when his hand suddenly shot up and grabbed mine in a vise-like grip. His head shot up as well, and I couldn't help letting out a gasp of surprise when his eyes met mine. They were as black as the night, like the pupils had expanded to swallow both eyes, even the sclera (the white part).

I quickly pulled my hand out of his grasp and fell back as he stood up. A faint aura of dark energy flickered to life around him, and when I looked down at his feet I saw he was floating a couple inches above the ground. It didn't even seem to cause him any effort. He was making floating look as simple as standing on the ground.

He looked down at where Kronos was lying on the ground, still unconscious from whatever attack Luke had used against him. Percy almost imperceptibly flicked one finger, and a gold mist was drawn out of the demigod, and then it sunk deep into the ground. Hershel coughed and sat up, looking around in confusion. When he saw Percy floating in midair, his eyes widened in alarm and he quickly scrambled backward, turned and ran for the camp.

"Percy?" I asked again, wanting to see how he would react to the name.

He ignored me, and instead held up his hands, turning them this way and that, as if it was an unfamiliar sensation. "This feels . . . strange. It's been quite some time since I resided in a stable form," he said, his voice sounding formal, remote, and almost unused.

I stared at him, wanting to ask a question, but afraid of the answer. Finally, I said, "Who are you?"

"I am--well, I was--Void, but now I am quite different from him," he responded, without even looking at me.

"How is that possible? I thought the only thing trapped in the sword was extra energy."

He looked up, meeting my calculating stare with one that was completely empty, devoid of emotion. "Chaos couldn't simply remove energy from Void to weaken him. He had to split him in half, almost exactly how Chaos and Void separate originally. That left me, a conscious being, and Chaos didn't want to leave someone else free who could potentially become his enemy. That's why he refused to create a physical form for me, since he is the only one capable of that, and instead trapped me in that sword."

"Okay . . ." I said slowly, carefully going over the information in my head to make sure I would remember it. "So if you're not Chaos of Void, who are you? What are you called?"

He stared at me, as if the question confused him. "I . . . I don't have a name. I was never given one."

I looked at him, and realized I was actually starting to feel pity for this being. "Why don't you pick a name?"

"I'll be . . . Omega. I am, like Void, the destruction and end of all things."

Well, so much for feeling bad for him. "Okay, Omega, I need to know: Is there any part of Percy left in you at all?"

He paused for a moment and tilted his head, as if listening to something no one else could hear. "Yes, I believe Perseus's consciousness is intact. I simply overwhelmed him, being the more powerful entity."