Introduction

"Fuck you and those kids!"

I was four when he said that, and his words echoed in my head. Now, I'm 16. I live in Jacksonville, that's all I know. You know what child, that use to walk around the streets and everyone knew them? That was me. All my life, I was the support system for my family. I grew up faster than I was supposed to.

Day after day, I'd wake up and stare in the mirror. I see the same man that walked out on me, I looked just like him.

I was currently in the 11th grade. Attending Lee High. I was that girl that everyone said hey to. I was well known.

Boyfriend? I hadn't had a boyfriend since I was in 7th grade. But lately I've been kicking it with this guy I met, Jamal. We go to different schools but we still made time to hang out.

He's 6'2, dark skin , with a smile that makes you fall in love. When I first met him, it was hard for me to understand him. He always kept his guard up, staying cautious of his heart. For once, I wanted him to understand that I wouldn't ever hurt him. He seen the beauty in me that I could never see myself.

When I looked in the mirror I seen a brown skinned girl with acne, big eyes, and slightly messed up teeth. I could never accept myself, every since I was in 4th grade.....

-Flashback

I was in 4th grade at North Shore. I was walking down the hallway when I seen my very first crush, Raequan Wall.

"Hey Rae!" I said.

"Girl don't say shit to me. Look at your eyes, one eye goes one way and same for the other! I'm in sixth grade, find a jitt to play with." He snapped back.

I remembered every word. Why? Because those were the words that ruined who I was on the inside.

Later that day when I was walking to Team-Up, I seen Raequan. I tried to avoid walking past him, but there was no way. So I walked past him in a hurry. He tripped me down making me fall on my face. He and his friends laughed at me, his girlfriend too. I glared at his girlfriend, wishing that I was half as beautiful as her.

-flashback over

So today, I'm writing this book for the girls like me. This is for the girls that spend countless hours in the mirror, girls who do everything to make themselves known, I write this for the girls who want love. Baby girl, you have to love yourself, or nobody ever will ❤️