The Promise

March 2017 Contest
-
The sun faded through the blinds of the Pokemon centre window, leaving me and the lobby in a cold darkness. The only light was the large bank of computer screens as well as the large healing device near the front desk, it's cold and mechanic hum being the only noise my ears could listen too.

I tapped my foot on the ground impatiently and held my head in my cut and scared hands, my lips trembling from both the cold and the pain from recent events. I felt my knees beginning to jump and I sat up, looking around to anything that could distract me.

No one was in the centre apart from me and I didn't feel like reading the 'latest' magazines from a year ago abandoned on waiting areas dirty coffee table.

I took my red and white baseball cap off of my head and revealed my black hair to anyone who was watching. I ran my fingers through it and slapped my forehead with my palm, leaning and falling back onto the sofa.

"I'm sorry." I mumbled, whispered. "It's all my fault." I said clearly but with the faintest of sobs hiding in my throat. Tears I had been fighting back beginning to rise and reveal themselves. I wiped my eyes and stood up for a reason which I immediately forgot.

I want to go home. I want to go home and never leave the safety of Pallet town, the safety of that little red brick house, the safety of childhood. I didn't even notice the large twin doors opening, or the person coming in searching for me.

"I'm sorry..."

-

"Well, Red. Who are you going to choose?" The Professor asked with a warm smile. He turned towards the table with the three PokeBalls and

I slowly approached the table, gazing at the white and red PokeBall in the centre.

"Charmander, I choose Charmander." I couldn't hold back the smile as I lifted the ball in the air, its brilliant white and red paint glistening in the light from the Laboratory.

"Good choice." Professor Oak said, pleasantly patting my back and beaming a smile. "Now, why don't you take Charmander outside and get to know him a little more." I nodded like a ten year old and the Professor laughed. "Oh Red? Remember what I told you."

"Of course." I said tapping the top of my red baseball cap. "Thank you Professor."

"Be safe Red. I don't want your mother worrying." He shouted as I waved him goodbye and exited the Lab, straight into the path of a young girl...

"Oh sorry!" I apologised offering a hand to the girl who I just knocked over onto the dirty floor. "I was so distracted I didn't see you coming and..."

She got up and looked at me with huge curious brown eyes, matching her glowing and flowing brown hair which fell beyond her small shoulders and down her back. Her pretty and face and button noes screwed up slightly as she gazed at me.

"No worries." She said with a sweet smile. "I see you here to get your starter too." Her head bounced towards my PokeBall.

"Y-Yeah."

She smiled a knowing smile and giggled slightly. "I'm Leaf." I slowly and hesitantly shook her hand, my palms sweating like I was locked in a room full of Dragonites. "Nice to meet you."