24. Kill Steal

Even her sigh, visible in the cold air, had something inherently poisonous to it - as if it tainted the atmosphere, slowing time and drawing the life out of it.
He had been pacing back and forth for two hours now, still just as furious as he had been when he began.

'This was interesting for the first trois minutes, Reyes. Now? It is just boring me. Get over it.'
Gazing down at her nails, utterly disinterested in his anger, Widowmaker could see the shadow assassin stiffen at her words out of the  corner of her eye.

But, as annoyed as he was at her use of his old name, he knew she was provoking him on purpose. It couldn't detract from his anger... His pure, unadulterated fury at Talon's leaders.

Darkness seethed around his form as he thought of them again, curling in thin wisps that reached out and grasped at the air.

'He was right there. I had every chance.'

Reaper's growling voice was quiet, but filled with so much raw emotion that the room grew distinctly colder around them both.

Finally fed up of her work partner's childish tantrum, repeating the same things over and over again, the sniper slid gracefully off the storage container, bracing herself with one arm outstretched as the ground rushed up to meet her.
As smooth as spider's silk, Widowmaker sauntered over to the pacing man, stopping a yard before him, emotionless and deadly.

'Oh, poor little Reaper.' mocked the Spider, teasing out every word. 'Did the big boss find out about your secret little missions around Overwatch?'

Reaper impressively managed to ignore her for a minute, as she tilted her head and put a trained hand on her hip, but it proved too much as she kept up her unwavering stare.

'Haven't you got anyone else to annoy? Go loiter somewhere else. You've done enough, Widow.' Reaper snarled, lacing his last words with enough venom to match the spider herself.
He'd reached his limit with her taunts, and the sound of ripping leather accompanied it as he curled his claws into his own palms in attempted self-restraint.

Widowmaker would have laughed, if she felt any emotion. Anyone who knew Reaper at all did not prize him for his ability to stay calm, and Amélie Lacroix was no exception - however, instead of fearing him, she actively pursued his untamed anger.

Turning her lidded gaze away from him and back to her perfectly kempt nails, she leant back on her hips - becoming a model picture of disinterest....
But the melodic, mocking tone that wove effortlessly through her French accent was unmistakable.

'It is truly a shame. I wonder how they knew you were in there? I guess they'll never trust you to take out Jack now...' Glancing up at the masked man, she knew he could see the heartless glint in her eyes.

Turning his broad, armoured shoulders to face her, his huge frame shook.

'You fucking bastard. You told them.'

Silence settled between them for a second that stretched into an eternity. But, instead of exploding into a rage, guns blazing, Widowmaker watched as blood dripped slowly from his palms off his claws. Finally, when a crimson puddle began to form on the floor beneath him, the former Blackwatch member breathed out heavily, crushing his pride and turning away from her. Bristling all over, muscles taut, it took all his concentration not to put a bullet in her damn skull right at that moment.

She's enjoying this.

Knowing that it was exactly the reaction she wanted from him, Reaper refused to give it to her. He could forgo his pride when it came to his own anger, but he would not lose to her manipulation.

He turned and walked. With every step further away he took, the shadows followed him. The container room lightened with every meter, yet Widowmaker's expression darkened even more so.
But she would not let her prey slip away just like that.

'Maybe they will ask me to take the Soldier out instead. After all, I don't have any particular emotional attachment...'

This time, Widowmaker's melodic tone was tinged with something different, something akin to... annoyance? But through his fury, Reaper heard none of it. Darkness pooled around him, writhing and pulling, trying to turn him around - but failing until the spider spoke again. This time her voice was calm, yet spiked with confidence as if she knew her words would work.

'Who knows, maybe they will let me kill your pretty petite amie too? Oh, merveilleux! How I would love to give her the Widow's kiss--'

Before Widowmaker could even finish her sentence, the shadows had thust the Reaper directly in front of her, and the silver metal of his shotguns pressed hard into her throat like an executioner blade.

Despite it all, for the first time since Gabriel Reyes had met Amélie Lacroix, he finally heard her laugh. A cold, empty sound; distorted by the steel pushing against her vulnerable throat.

'My, oh my. I almost feel something when you do this.' With a rare smile that pulled back her blue skin to reveal sharp features, Reaper's fury only heightened, and his hands rose to push harder with his guns.

'Is this just a game to you, you sadistic bitch? A game?'
Reaper was visibly trembling now, unable to control the adrenaline that coursed through his veins, setting his scarred skin on fire. His voice rumbled low and deadly through the air. Leaning closer in, Widow nearly buckled under his weight, but she managed to hold her ground.

'If you touch either of them, I will rip your throat our with my bare hands. I will make you regret the day you were born.
They. Are. Mine.'

The dark, empty sockets of Reaper's mask bore into her skin, unrelenting, and she couldn't help but stare back, revelling in rush of danger. Suddenly, the pressure pushing against Widowmaker's throat disappeared, and she took a step back to stabilise herself.

Gone.

Watching the final shadows twist and dissipate in the air where Reaper had stood just seconds before, she moved a hand to her neck and smiled. It was too easy to torment the other Talon members, but Reaper was the only one who truly brought her the same rush of feeling.
Musing over the emotion, it was second only to the feeling of putting a bullet through a target's heart.

'Or, even better' she spoke, 'though their skull.'

Amused at her own horrific humour, she stalked away back into darkness, having satisfied her addiction for now. The clicking of her heels slowly faded away like everything else into the night.

///~Author's Note~///

Hey peeps! More chapters coming out soon - but as I'm kind of pushing them out pretty quickly, please let me know if you spot any spelling or grammar mistakes! Super excited for one of the upcoming chapters - hope you guys are looking forward to it as much as I am :>

- Wren (: xxx