"Little Things"

• İtfaf edildi McKenzie

Click on the external link to listen to "Little Things".

*HIS POINT OF VIEW*

        I stood in the back of the empty auditorium, silently watching my girlfriend McKenzie rehearse for the upcoming school play. I was hiding in the shadows, hoping she wouldn't know I was there; she had told me repeatedly not to come see her act until opening night... but I couldn't help myself. I loved to see her act.
        McKenzie was the female lead in some play called The King & I. Although she had played a part in every school play, McKenzie always got nervous the closer it came to the first performance. I failed to see the reason why she worried so much; McKenzie was an amazing actress, though she'd never admit it. She was humble about it... one of the things I loved most about her.
        We weren't at the "I love you" stage yet - after all, we had only been dating a few months - but the longer we went out, the more things I began to love about McKenzie.
        Like the way she'd tuck her hair behind her ear when she got nervous, much like she's doing now on stage. The first time I saw her do that was when I asked her to go to the movies with me after school. I hadn't known she was nervous... I was trying to keep myself from freaking out!
        I loved the way her eyes lit up that night when talked to me about theatre and how much fun it was to be up on stage performing. Her speech quickened and her hands gestures grew bigger the longer she talked, displaying her obvious passion for it.
        I loved the way that she tugged on the sleeve of my shirt when there was an exciting part in the movie that she didn't want me to miss.
        I loved the way she laughed at all of my terrible jokes.
        I loved the way she smiled at me when I asked her to be my girlfriend.
        All the things she didn't love about herself, I loved them for her.
        The longer I sat in the auditorium watching McKenzie, the more I realized I truly cared about her... and that she truly cared about me.
        I wasn't sure what our future held; maybe we would get married and start a family, maybe we would get married but remain just the two of us, or maybe we would date for a while then break it off.
        All I knew for sure was I wanted to find out.

        "Hey, babe," I greeted McKenzie as I wrapped my arms around her in a warm embrace. She had just finished rehearsal and had come to meet me outside the school so I could drive her home.
        "Hello," she replied, her voice muffled by the fabric of my jacket.
        We both pulled away and started walking toward the parking lot. "How did it go?" I asked casually.
        McKenzie shrugged but a small grin was beginning to form. "Okay, I guess. Mr. Hollis had us run over the last few scenes today, which was fun... especially the part where I yelled at the King for being a jerk," she added with a giggle.
        I laughed along with her, remaining silent as she continued on about choreography and costume fittings. Her eyes lit up like they always did and I smiled to myself. There were so many things I loved about her. A part of me wanted to tell her... but then they wouldn't be mine anymore. There was something about those little things I loved that made me want to keep them all to myself.
        It took me a second before I realized McKenzie had stopped talking; instead she was giving me a funny look.
        "What?" I asked.
        "You were looking down at the ground and grinning like the Cheshire cat," she replied, nudging my shoulder playfully. "What were you thinking about?"
        Suddenly I felt hot, something that happened to me when I got nervous. "Oh, uh, just thinking about... stuff."
        McKenzie laughed. "What kind of stuff?"
        "Personal stuff," I answered lamely, running a hand through my hair. "Why did you want to know?"
        "I don't know. Just curious, I guess. Sometimes, when we're together, you kind of zone out for a minute."
        "Does that bother you?" I asked anxiously. If she didn't like it, I would try and focus more. I didn't want something so trivial to get in the way of our relationship.
        Instead of nodding, McKenzie answered, "No, not at all! Actually, I think it's... kind of... cute."
        My heart began to race as I watched her tuck a strand of hair behind her ear. Then my grin turned into a smile.
        Maybe I wasn't the only one that noticed the little things....

A/N: I hope you liked it! Let me know if you want to be a part of the next story. You can visit my Pinterest page and follow my board entitled "Your Song" (Short Stories).