Monday morning....

I was nervous about meeting Ethan. I had made up my mind and there was no turning back now. But still I was feeling nervous. I typed my resignation and took a print. Signing it, I walked to his door. I knocked his office door and he called me in.

He looked up at me as I went in. His eyes got stuck on me. The way he was looking at me was making me feel weak. I cleared my throat to get rid of the awkwardness the air. He crossed his arms in front of him and motioned me to sit.

I walked until I was in front of his desk and stook there fidgeting with the envelope. It was difficult than I thought it would be.

"Do you want to say something?" He spoke.

"Yes, I.... Umm... No..... I mean..... Actually, well I wanted to.... I..... " I couldn't form a sentence let alone tell him about my resignation. I sighed in defeat.

"Well?" He spoke.

I handed him the envelope. I figured that it would be better than saying anything. He took it from me and examined the outside. He eyed it confusingly and raised his eyebrows at me.

"What is this?"

"Open and see it." I said not leaving my eyes from his face. If this was my last moment with him I might as well make the best of the moment. He looked handsome as ever even with a tired expression on his face. I could see that he had been taking a lot of stress lately and the dark circles under his eyes were a clear evidence.

He tore open the envelope and unfolded the letter. He began reading the letter from the beginning. I looked away from his face not wanting to see the expression. A long moment of silence passed between us. I peeked to see him staring at the letter. He had finished reading it a long time back but he just kept on staring. His jaw tickled with... anger.. fury? I didn't utter a word. I waited for him to say something. The silence was deafening now.

"What is this?" He asked slamming the letter on his desk.

"Well, it is a letter stating my resignation, Sir. It states that I am resigning from Monroe Industries and that.. " I stated not caring about his scoffing at my response. He cut me off.

"I know that. I can see that." He yelled at me. I flinched at his tone. "Why are you resigning? You can't leave m.. You can't leave the office. I.. We need you here." He said.

"I can't continue working here with all the things going on. I want to leave. Please accept it." I cut short the truth. I could never tell him the true reason.

"Like hell I will. I refuse to accept it." He said dismissing me. I was not going to back down  now.

"Why can't you accept it? What do you want? Do you want me be here and see you having a happy time with your new family while having my heart crushed. I don't have a problem with you being happy. I want you to be happy. But I can't be a part of it. You said that you didn't want anyone finding about us, right? Then that's what I am doing. I am helping you to keep our secret, a secret. Go enjoy your fortune. Let me be free." I said with tears in my eyes. I just wanted to be out of here. He looked at me for a moment without saying anything. I could see that he was having a battle with himself.

"Am I suffocating you? Is that what you are trying to imply?" He said with a defeated tone. I was shocked with the words. He didn't suffocate me. He was my life and now my baby. So I said with determination.

"Let me go Ethan."

"Fine. I'll send it back to you before today." He said looking away from me. I nodded and left.

On returning back to my office. I sat in my chair and took a deep breath to calm myself.

******

It was almost the end of the day now. Being my last day here now I collected my belongings and stuffed them in my bag. Alex came in and stood by my side.

"You packed everything?" She asked looking around.

"Yes. I took whatever was mine." She looked at me and smiled.

"I wish you all the best Erica. I know you'll take good care of him." She said patting me on the back.

"Thanks." I smiled. "How can you be so sure that it will be a boy? What if it'll be a girl?" I asked. Since I found out that I was pregnant she had been referring to the baby as 'he'.

"Oh I just know, okay?" She laughed.

"He will be a lucky one to have you." She said with her smile fading away into a sigh.

"I am lucky to have him. He has made me realize that I don't need anyone else to be happy. We can start our new lives far away from here. He is already making me so happy. Day by day I feel myself getting more attached to him. I never imagined this day will come in my life. But I'm happy that it did. I'm so excited." I spoke with happiness. I was very positive that everything would be okay now. Just me and my baby.

---*-*-*---

Vote
Comment
& Share