Chapter 4

Three weeks later

I walked through the corridors of the building. The past three weeks have been extremely well. I finished with my files but I felt very uneasy, I had a strange sinking feeling in my heart. The kind of feelings when you are about to take the most important decision of your life.

O God, what is wrong with me?

I thought to myself. Putting aside my nervousness I stepped in the elevator.

"Stop." Someone yelled. I immediately stopped the elevator. Ian came in running and panting.

"Breathe Ian. Why do you look so scared? You are actually before time." I said glancing at my wrist watch. "Relax."

"Gone are the days of relaxing. Mr. Monroe is back. He told me to be early today to report about the past few weeks."

Somehow the thought of Mr.Monroe made me nervous. I wonder if this was the reason I was so nervous earlier.

The elevator came to a halt at our floor. We both stepped out of the elevator and went our separate ways. Me in my cabin and Ian in Mr.Monroe's office.

Ethan

I returned from France last night. I had already missed almost four weeks of office. I hope everyone is working properly. I had called Mr.Hales to report about about the past weeks. It was already 9:00 a.m. but he wasn't here yet.

I was about to call my PA when there was a knock on the door.

"Come in."

"I'm sorry Mr. Monroe. I am late." Mr.Hales came in panting.

"Its fine. Have a seat." I gestured towards the chair.

"Tell me about the employee records."

I lately found that some of my employees are taking undue advantage of their position, resulting in slow work. I recently fired my CA. No reports prepared by him are up to mark and worth showing to the B.O.D. I can't risk my company for these inefficient employees. Dad had trusted me with the company. I couldn't risk losing his trust in me with the company.

Despite several warnings he refused to be serious. So I fired him. I hope the new CA is worth keeping.

Mr.Hales gave me a detailed record of the employees. I was happy to hear that now they are taking their work seriously.

"Thank you Mr.Hales. You may leave now."

After Mr.Hales left I called my PA. "Miss Jones, bring the files I gave you three weeks ago."

"Yes Sir."

After a few minutes there was a knock on the door.

"Come in."

A woman with long brown hair entered with a heavy pile of files. She had brown eyes, slim figure, pink lips. I was more than confused seeing her as I had never seen her before.

Erica

I got settled in my cabin and arranged the files in a proper order. After about an hour Miss. Jones entered in my cabin asking for those files.

"Miss Williams, Mr. Monroe has asked for those files."

"Actually I wanted to meet him myself. I wanted to discuss something with him regarding these. So I'll take these files myself."

She left giving me a strange look. I just rolled my eyes. Collecting all the files I made my way towards Mr. Monroe's office with my heart beating fast against my chest. I knocked on his door once. A velvety masculine voice answered, "Come in".

I opened the door and stepped inside his office. I was in an awe by simply looking at the interiors of his office. It was plush and classy. Mostly white except the curtains and his desk. My eyes landed on the handsome man sitting in front of me. From what I saw he wore a black suit with a blue tie. He wore gold cufflinks for his sleeves. His brown hair was perfectly styled. He was watching me with amusement in his eyes. Probably because I was eyeing his office like a small kid. I focused my attention on him and for a brief moment our eyes locked.

It was getting awkward so I broke the silence by introducing myself.

"Good Morning, Mr. Monroe. I'm CA Erica Williams." He was still looking at me with confused expression. So I continued, "Miss Jones asked me to go through these files and make necessary changes. Also I wanted to discuss about some things regarding the annual report." I said breathlessly.

He gestured me to sit on the chair in font of him. I placed my files on the desk and wiped my sweaty palms on my skirt. Yes, I was that nervous.

I began explaining him about the flaws in the accounting system without glancing at him. I was rambling on and on, I did not care if he was paying any attention to my words or not. When I looked up at him he was watching me with a smirk plastered on his face. His next words left me completely embarrassed.

"Miss Williams, are you usually this way with people or do I make you nervous? No need to get all nervous. Just be at ease. Okay? "

I was rendered speechless by his comment. I just nodded.

"I'll read these files myself. You may leave now." I still couldn't form any words to reply. It was when he cocked his eyebrows that I immediately got up an left. I did not fail to notice the smirk on his face when I left.

I quickly went inside my cabin and drank a glass full of water to calm my nerves.

What was that about? I thought to myself.

The rest of the day passed as usual. I met Alex for lunch, we chatted about our lives, work and parted our ways after the lunch break.

When I went into my cabin, I got busy with my balance sheets and accounts. After some time there was a knock on the door.

"Come in." I called.

Mr. Ethan, himself, appeared from the door and sat in front of me. I was looking at him with my mouth hung open.

He cleared his throat bringing my attention back to him.

"Miss Williams, I am very impressed with your work. I seriously did not expect such a young employee to rectify those mistakes in such a short time and suggest possible measures. I must congratulate you for that."

I'd be lying if I say that my heart didn't just skip a beat. I felt like I received an award.

"It's my job to provide consultancies for this Company. I'm happy you appreciate my work." I replied back.

I blushed remembering the morning incident. Mr.Monroe seemed to notice that too. He smirked as if he won a fortress and left.

I couldn't help but smile at that.

I continued with my work till 5 p.m. After that I shut my laptop, grabbed my belongings and left.

---*-*-*---

Vote
Comment
& Share