Chapter 13

The door to the room where Robin hid me suddenly swung open and with some force, enough to make it clang as it was opened as wide as it could go. "Where is she?" Phillip shouted worried.

"She's over there on the bed." One of my godmothers said, I think it was Fiona. I could just see her putting her hands up trying to calm him before he came to my seemingly unconscious body. "You should probably go clean up some of those wounds."

"I'm fine." I heard his footsteps stop just before the bed. "Is she—"

"No, the color in her face still indicates that she is alive, and she is also warm to the touch." Mary was next to me, she was somewhat of a healer and the one to best tell if I was still living or dead. "Go ahead, you can touch her." I felt a hand caress my cheek and a small gasp of relief escape his lips.

"Praise God" he choked.

"Yes, praise God. You were supposed to protect her if it hadn't been for holy intervention she would be dead by now." Flora angrily chided.

"I tried my best. She was out of my sight for but a moment."

"Well, a moment was long enough."

"Flora, that is enough." Fiona admonished. "There is nothing he could have done differently. Nobody, not even us noticed she was missing. Why didn't she take her bow?"

"I'm afraid that was both mine and Robin's fault. We hid it from her worried she might take it and try to confront Maleficent with it. We didn't know she would be foolish enough to go without it. She was out of our sight for but a moment. I should have paid more attention, I'm sorry." His voice cracked.

"It wasn't your fault. The witch is compelling at best and our little girl here is quite the wily one. There was nothing more you could have tried. You did your best. Pay no heed to Flora's words, she is also angry with herself that it happened. All of us were meant to protect her, we all failed." Wow, who knew Mary could be the level headed one.

"Yes, son, we all failed. Now come with me. We need to see to those wounds." Fiona added.

"Wait, Phillip, one more question before you leave. What happened with the King and Queen?" Flora asked somewhat meekly.

"The King fled to the chapel first thing after the fighting ended. Robin retrieved the Queen along with Elanore after he got Aurora out. They are now safely with her ladies in her chamber with a few knights guarding her." There was no sound then I heard a door shut.

Most of the day went by with silence and a little conversation here and there. Honestly, I don't know how much time had passed before someone else came in to break the somber silence of my godmothers. "Your highness," I heard them murmur collectively.

"Please, dear friends there is no need for such formalities. How is she?" It was my mother.

"She is as well as to be expected." Mary answered.

"She's not—"

"No, my queen, she is alive. The best I can describe is she is just in a deep sleep, so deep we are unable to wake her."

"Then it is just as the witch said."

"Yes, my queen, we were thinking if we had some petals from Maleficent's roses we could make a counter potion." Flora asked trepidatiously.

"Do you believe you can?"

"It has been a while since we've worked with potions but I believe it is worth a try."

"I'm afraid I have no men to spare. We lost many in that last battle and my husband informs me she is regrouping and preparing to come back for another. So, he has every able bodied man out with him preparing. I don't know how we could get there."