Chapter Five

I woke up to the sound of the maids charging into the room again. Those ladies really don't care about waking a person lightly. One went about pulling back the curtains on the windows while the other dug through the chest with all my new dresses in them. She pulled out a new one. It was a bright pink color with gold thread. My uncle must have spent a fortune on those gowns for me. It made me all the more guilty that I didn't want his daughter to wed Phillip. I felt a nagging sense of selfishness and I hated it. I tried to shove it down, but every time I looked at that darn dress and the chest I felt worse.

The maid looked at me expectantly "Oh, you want me up. I suppose if I asked you to let me wear one of my other dresses you would say no?"

"I'm afraid so m'lady. We are under strict orders from the king." I sighed. I didn't much like the new dresses. It wasn't that the dresses weren't beautiful. They were gorgeous in fact, but I always felt so guilty wearing them. They were far too elaborate for anything that I could afford and the whole ball was probably costing my uncle a lot. I knew now that he was the king and could probably afford it, but that is still a great deal of money to spend on me. Then to add beautiful new gowns for what seemed like every day. It was too much. I was grateful, but it was too much. He already did a great deal for my godmother's and I over the years.

"Does he have my entire wardrobe scheduled out for the whole fortnight?" I looked between the two maids who looked a little bashful. "I suppose I should take that as a yes. Do I have to wear that one today though? Pink isn't exactly my best color."

"M'lady—" The door opened and another woman stepped into the room. Except I recognized this maid.

"Nami!" I exclaimed as I leapt out of the bed and ran straight to her. She seemed surprised at first and stood awkwardly while I hugged her.

"So, now you know." She looked at the floor ashamed.

"That you're a chambermaid? I already knew." She looked at me with shock "Phillip told me. There is no need to be ashamed. You are my friend and I like you for who you are not what you do. I'm from the country for crying out loud, people look at me like I'm some wild thing from the outskirts of nowhere."

"No, they look at you with jealousy, believe me. You really don't care?"

"Of course not. Did you think I would?" She made a guilty look "Wow, have I ever discriminated someone from where they come from?"

"Antoinette, Marian, Elanore—"

"That is different, I get annoyed with them because all they can talk about is boys and the latest gossip. If they wanted to, anyone of them would probably push me to the chopping block if it got them further in life."

"Yes, but that is because they are a product of where they are from Aurora. If you had grown up at court you would be very much like them. You certainly would not be friends with me."

"I've known you for a long time. You are the best friend I've ever had, not to mention the longest friend I've ever had."

"I was the only friend you've ever had. It wouldn't do you any harm to try and make friends with them you know."

"Yes, I know. I'm trying not discriminate the girls because of where they are from. Some of them aren't that bad. It's just Antoinette, I can't seem to find anything that is remotely common between her and I. Believe me, I have tried. You are my best friend Nami. You will always be my best friend no matter who or what I am, or what you are. I really don't care that you are a chamber maid and your husband is a stable man. You are my friend. That is it." She nodded and hugged me.

"Alright no more of the wishy washy. We need to get you ready. Everyone is meeting in the big hall again to break fast then the party is scheduled to go on some outings. So, you will need a sensible dress."