Chapter Twenty Seven

Start from the beginning

I bounce on the balls of my feet, unable to keep still.

This was it. The moment I have been waiting for.

There is a shift in the air in locker room this afternoon. Everyone's energy is heightened. The tension is thick as we all stand around, stretching, and doing our own preparation for what is to come.

Sliding the swim team jacket over my shoulders, a satisfied grin settles on my face. It feels as good as I thought it would. I ran my fingers over the soft material, loving the feel of it against my skin.

It is thick, providing me with warmth and rests on the top of my bare thighs. It is navy blue, light blue lines running down the sides, with "Cobras" written on the back in big, bold lettering. Grace Connaway, Byron Elite Private School is etched onto the left breast and I look down in adoration at it.

I am truly apart of the elite team. The team that has been labelled the best in the state.

While I stand, bouncing on my feet, shaking my arms and legs out to stop the nervous jitters, Mia looks like she was meditating, Zach is reading a magazine (he is a sub, which explains why he is so relaxed), David texting, Mike talking to himself, pacing in the corner and Hayden is leaning against his locker, arms folded, headphones jammed in his ears.

"It's time," Ashton announce as he walks in. "Do me proud, Cobras."

We all nod back. We form a line and exit through the door. My heart is galloping inside my chest. I wipe my palms against my legs as I follow David out.

Cheers erupt from the crowd the moment they see Hayden, as he is leading the group. He walks straight over to the bench, ignoring the crowd. Mia, Mike and David, walk out, waving and I roll my eyes at them.

"Grace!" Harvey calls out.

Jogging over to him, I grin. Doing a twirl, I pose. "How do I look?"

"Very legit," he nods with a grin. "How does it feel?"

"So good," I laugh.

"You excited?" he asks with a smile. "You look nervous."

"Oh I'm nervous as hell, but I'm excited."

"You'll do great." he grins. "I'm excited to finally see you in action."

A throat clearing pulled our eyes away from each other. Caitlyn stands there, a slight frown on her face.

"Oh, you know Caitlyn," Harvey states awkwardly.

"Hey Caitlyn," I smile. "Glad you could make it."

"No problem," she replies, her return smile looking slightly forced.

I ignore her attitude and focus back on Harvey.

"Where are you sitting?"

"Over there," he points. "Middle row."

"Okay, cool." I reply, rubbing my hands together. "I better get going. I'll see you after?"

"I'll be here," he promises and I don't miss the flicker of Caitlyn's eyes landing on him.

Turning my back to them, I make my way over to where everyone is huddled together, talking while they stretch. I almost made it, when I feel two heavy hands rest on my shoulder.

"Hey gorgeous," the voice greets and I turn quickly.

"Oh, it's you."

"Hey!" Ryan defends with slight protest, placing a hand theatrically over his heart. "That's no way to greet me."