Chapter 6

The Doctor can't say he's ever seen the purpose of grave stones. He does understand that some people feel "closer" to their dead loved one when they are standing by a stone carrying that loved one's name, but he doesn't share that opinion. It makes sense, at least.

What does not make sense at all, however, is having a grave stone for someone who isn't dead.

Or, it isn't really a stone. It's actually just a metal square in the ground, surrounded by flowers. It's got the name Rose Tyler engraved in a fancy font. He's spent far more time by that simple metal plate than he'd ever like to admit. He especially went there in the first months after he lost her. Despite him being so against visiting grave stones, it actually made him feel better.

That's why he knows the exact coordinates to the memorial place.

The Doctor parks the TARDIS with a jerk, pulling the handbreak. He takes a few long breaths, just staring at the monitor. Despite coming here often, it has been a long time since last time. He kind of promised himself he wouldn't go here when he met Martha. He knew this place would only bring back memories of things he'd rather forget.

Ashie watches him quietly, her face lit up with both excitement and confusion. She's got no idea where they are. Donna knows, though. She walks up behind him, resting a soft hand on his shoulder.
"You sure?"
He nods.
"Yup."

Bracing himself, the Doctor turns around and takes his daughter's hand.
"C'mon", he says to her, and they both walk out the TARDIS doors together.

The blue time machine is parked in the outskirt of a small grave yard. He can sense how tense Ashie gets when she notices what kind of place they are at. She looks up at him, sadness and confusion written across her dolly-looking face.
"But Mummy's not dead!" she exclaims.
"No no no, she really isn't. She's very alive. But, the people in this world don't know that. When she vanished from this world, everyone assumed she was dead. But she isn't. You understand?"
Ashie nods nervously and he squeezes her little hand in reassurence.

The two of them walks down the sand road, quietly looking around at all the graves. The Doctor would probably know the way to Rose's small memorial place in his sleep, but he'd never admit it out loud. When they reach their destination he lets go of Ashie's hand, dropping to his knees to look closer at the engravings in the metal.

In memory of
Rose Tyler
who was willing to give life to save others

He touches the metal with his thumb.
"Hello, there", he tells the metal plate softly.
"She can't hear you."
"Hm?"
"Mummy's not here, she's in the other world. She can't hear you", Ashie says matter-of-factly.
He looks over at her.
"I know that, sweetie. It just feels nice to let your feelings out. Go on, say something."
"To the metal?"
"Mhm."

She looks skeptical, but she does decide to give it a try.
"Hi, Mummy. I miss you. I hope I'll see you again soon. That's what you said when you sent me here, that we would see each other again soon. And... I love you", she finishes softly.

There's a silence between the two of them, both of them just looking down at the metal square.
"Is it true?" Ashie asks after a moment.
"Is what true, love?"
"What's written on the grave. That she saved other lifes."
"Yes. Yes, it is. She was very brave. And, please don't call it a grave. She's not dead, you know."
"I know. Sorry, Daddy."
"It's okay."

They walk back to the TARDIS in silence. Donna's standing outside, waiting for them. When Ashie's inside the spaceship she leans closer to the Doctor.
"You okay?" she whispers.
He nods.
"Yeah, sure. I'm fine."
It does look like she wants to say something else, but she stays quiet.

The Doctor doesn't say a word either as he flips a switch on the console, sending them back into the time vortex.

[Comment/vote x]