【Character Info】《OSL》 #4

(image by yibiart @ tumblr)

Name: Milton "Bubba" King

Quick Facts:

Age: (when he first appears in OSL) 24

Birthday: November 5

Ethnicity: Black

Height: 5'11" (180 cm)

Sexual/Romantic Orientation: Straight (probably demi)

Hobbies: Cooking, of course. Reading romance novels (but not the Harlequin type—he hates unrealistic stuff) and watching romance movies.

Favourite food: His dad's spicy chili.

Least favourite food: None.

Fashion style: Usually wears polo or button-up shirts and jeans. Black-rimmed glasses.

Little known facts: Has a pet turtle.

Background:

Parents: Bubba was born to Milton and Paula King. Although he was also named Milton, he is not technically a junior because his middle name is different from his dad's. His mom was an attorney and his dad was a chef (until he decided to open up Milton's Midtown). His dad was a family man, always spending time with his son whenever he was free. Opposite to Eran, in college, Bubba visited his parents whenever he could. Milton died from heart disease at 46. Paula was hit by it hard and so Bubba had to take charge of handling the funeral arrangements and stuff. She seemed to get a bit better when Bubba told her he was going to take over the restaurant.

Youth: Bubba was teased as a kid for both his real name and nickname. "Milton" was "dorky" and "Bubba" was "weird." Later, there were lots of Forrest Gump jokes. His peers also nicknamed him Urkel because he was smart, black, skinny, and wore glasses like the iconic character. He didn't take the name jokes to heart because Milton was also his beloved father's name and although Bubba was embarrassing, it was a nickname his father gave him. His parents raised him to not be ashamed of his intelligence or of being black, so the bullying he faced growing up didn't leave any lasting scars, as he shrugged it off.

Career: Unlike Elias and Eran who were more interested in microbiology, Bubba liked human biology. He wasn't sure what he was going to do with the degree. He didn't really like the idea of being a doctor, but also didn't want to be cooped up in a lab doing research. Well, as you know, he didn't need to decide in the end. Taking over the restaurant isn't something he regrets. He would have regretted not continuing his father's restaurant. He liked cooking anyway, so he doesn't feel like he lost anything. He still keeps tabs on what's happening in the biology world though through articles and academic journals.

Love Life: Bubba had his first and last girlfriend when he was 16. She complained about him spending too much time with the biology club, essentially urging him to pick between it and her. And he chose the biology club without hesitation. There was a girl from Elias's school that he liked when he saw her at a competition. Elias helped get them alone during a competition after-party once, and he expressed his interest, but she coldly told him he wasn't her type. Bubba has been so into his schooling and then career since then, there hasn't really been anyone he's interested in. He LOVES hearing other people's love stories though (straight, gay, poly—he likes it all) and has helped set up a few of his customers.

Friends:

Eran: Eran and Bubba met their last year of high school. At first, Bubba didn't like Eran. He felt a bit of rivalry and he also didn't like Eran's attitude. He later realized that Eran's way of talking and attitude wasn't him being rude or mean and that Eran was just socially awkward. Eran knew how much Bubba liked biology, so when Bubba said he was dropping out of school to take over the restaurant, he expected Eran to criticize him about it. Instead, Eran said nothing against it, even standing by him when he explained things to their professors and helping him during the restaurant's remodeling. Despite refusing to call Bubba a friend, Eran was comfortable enough to take/assume meals as charity, which Bubba always thought was strange. But he felt like that was the only indicator that their friendship was real/mutual, so he let it slide.

Elias: Bubba met Elias through Eran. There isn't much to say about their relationship. They've considered each other friends since high school and have hung out outside of school a few times. Elias has visited the restaurant in his free time (though he didn't eat there practically every day like Eran did).

If you have any questions about Bubba, ask in the comments and I'll do my best to answer.

Stay tuned for bios of Eran, Jay, Riley, and Elias. Any other bios you want to see?