【Short Story】《OSL》#1

SON IN-LAW

Jerald watched his son look everywhere but at he and his wife. He'd called them saying he was coming over. His only explanation was, "I have something to tell you."

Jerald and Em expected he was finally telling them about the girlfriend he'd hinted at when he'd come for Jamee's memorial. They waited patiently as Eran struggled with his words.

Finally: "There's a guy..."

Guy? So this isn't about his new girlfriend? Em looked just as confused.

Eran still wouldn't meet their eyes. There was a silence before he hummed hesitantly, then continued, "...that..." He winced, "I love..."

The silence this time was just as long but twice as heavy.

A guy... he... "What?"

"I'm dating a guy." Eran glanced up. He was met with blank expressions.

A guy... He's dating a man...

Em frowned in confusion. "Since when did you..."

"Since I met him."

Another silence followed. I don't know what to think. What is Em thinking? Jerald looked over at his wife.

Her brows were a bit pinched. "Are you happy?"

Eran nodded to his mother's question. "He saved me," he muttered. "I love him."

He loves him...

Em smiled.

Children... We lost Jamee; Eran was our last hope. Eran glanced at his dad. Jerald snapped out of his contemplative expression. "No grandkids then, eh?"

Eran bit his lip. "I don't know if he wants kids but... if we did, we could adopt..."

Adopt... Jerald nodded.

"So," Em started, smiling gently, "When do we get to meet him?"

It was Christmas Day. Em and Jerald sat on the sofa with two very different auras.

I'm about to meet my son's boyfriend.

The doorbell rang. Em shot up and bolted to the door first to greet them.

The word "boyfriend" was echoing in Jerald's brain as he gingerly stood and followed his wife's afterimage.

He could hear a grin in Em's voice. "So young! And handsome. Come in, come in."

Jerald got to the door and took in his son's boyfriend. His wife was right. He was a tall, young, good looking kid. More importantly, he wasn't flamboyant, nor was he grizzly, nor was he anywhere close to Jerald's own age. He and Em had been worried and fearing the worst.