Chapter 10

Shaun's POV

"Maddie?" I nudged at the girl asleep on my shoulder. "Babe?" 

"Uhn," She woke up a little. "Yea?" 

"I have to go home. I should start going before it gets too late." I gently moved her off.

"Don't go!" She grabbed my hand. "Please." I kissed her hand. 

"I'll be back soon." I bent down and kissed her forehead. "I love you."

"I love you too." She whispered. I shut the front door quietly and walked to my car. I looked towards the door to see Maddie waving at me as I drove away.

Maddie's POV *2 months later*

"Please go away, Dylan." I said as the incoming college freshman trailed behind me.

"I can't leave you alone. Just let me walk you home." 

"No, Dylan. Please, just leave." He scowled a little. 

"Fine." He stomped away like a child. I walked as fast as I could back to my dorm. I started my calculus homework after I took my shower. I made dinner and binge watched Downton Abbey.  At around ten thirty, there was a knock on my door. 

"Who is it?" No one answered. I opened the door and there stood a familiar face. "Sage?" 

"Hey, bro." He said shakily. "Can I sit on your couch for a sec?" I noticed he was holding his arm. 

"Yea." I lead him in, letting him steady himself on my shoulder. "What happened? Do I need to call an ambulance?"

"No, I just--" He began to let go of his arm, but winced and returned his hand back to its spot on his arm. "I think it's broken."

"What did you do?" He shook his head.

"I wanted to come say Happy Birthday, but I saw some guy peaking through the window of your room. I fought him, but he got a few good hits." I unbuttoned Sage's shirt to look at the wound.

"Jeez, what'd he do? Throw you against the wall?"

"Maybe." He smiled. There was another knock at my door.

"Damn, I wasn't this popular when I was in the Olympics." I opened the dorm door. "Shaun? I wasn't expecting you for another week." I said, hugging his neck.

"Surprise!" He laughed. He peered around my shoulder. "Sage?" Sage nodded in greeting. 

"He was coming to say Happy Birthday, but he got in a fight on the way." 

"That sounds like him alright." Shaun walked in and attempted a fist bump with the man on my couch. 

"Ow." Sage mumbled. 

"Well, I was going to suggest we go see a movie, but you have to take care of," He stopped, gesturing his hand at Sage. "this." 

"We can see a movie tomorrow. Let's get him to a hospital." 

Shaun's POV

"Well, I have good news and bad news." The doctor said.

"What's the good news?" Maddie asked worriedly.

"He's going to be fine after a reconstructive surgery."

"And the bad news?" I added.

"He has to stay here over night into, maybe, tomorrow night."

"Oh, I thought you were going to say he had cancer or he wasn't going to ever snowboard again." I sighed a breath of relief.

"No, nothing like that." The doctor assured us. "You two should go home and rest." Maddie nodded in agreement. I took her hand and walked out to the car. 

"Where do you wanna go?" I said, hopping into the driver's seat. 

"Back to the dorm." Maddie smiled. "I'll cook you dinner." 

"Well that sounds awesome." Before driving away, I unbuckled and leaned over, kissing Maddie square on the lips. "Happy Birthday, beautiful." She blushed and we drove back to her dorm.