Chapter 2

As I zipped up the last of my bags I look out the window. The snow of Warwick, Rhode Island were always prettiest in my eyes. BuzzBuzzBuzz! My phone continues to go off. I look to see three messages from Shaun.

Where are you?

You're not gonna be late, right?

For fuck's sake, you're so slow! I'm waiting outside. Let's gooooo!

I read all three message and placed my phone in my bag. Darting down the stairs I avoid my little brother's nanny. I go into the nursery where he is sleeping. "Bye, Charlie. Love you." I kiss his head, which is still burning up from his curious fever.

"Sissy?" I heard him say as I leave the room.

"Yea, boo?" I hold back tears as I look at the pale, sickly six-year old.

"You win."

"I will. Promise." I wave at him and exit the house as fast as I can. My parents are outside talking to Shaun. "I'm ready to go."

"My baby girl, off to be an Olympian!" My mom engulfs me in a hug around the waist. "I'm so proud." I hear her sniffle.

"Thanks, momma." I hug her back and after a few seconds we both let go. My dad puts his hands on my shoulders.

"You done good, kiddo." He says. "Go get 'em." I give him a quick hug and kiss on the cheek.

I turn towards the pickup truck with Shaun inside. "I love you both very much." I smiled as we pulled out of the driveway.

We had been driving for about twenty-five minutes in silence, in which the only noise was the rock music coming from the radio. Shaun turned the radio off.

"What's up?" He asked.

"Not much." I answered.

"You know what I mean." He said sternly. "What's wrong?" Of course I knew what he meant. I just did not want to talk about my life after we parted ways. It wasn't very fun-filled.

"Nothing, I'm fine. I promise." I faked the brightest smile I could. He sighed, he knew he wasn't going to get anything from me.

"I'm sorry about 2010. That was my fault and I shouldn't have treated you that way."

"It's okay. You were stressed, I was stressed. Everything was falling apart in front of our own two eyes. It's okay." I turned the radio back on. That was the last thing said until we reached the airport in Providence.