Chapter 1

"Dunlap takes a sharp right." The announcer says into the microphone. "She's almost there! She's so close! Look at her go!" He cheers over the speakers. His voice gets louder with every turn I make. Closing my eyes, I soar over the slope, landing perfectly, just like the rest of my runs. "She's done it! She's qualified! Maddie Dunlap is going to Sochi!" My smile is beaming.

I unbuckle my boots and approach the reporter with the microphone. "Are you ready for Russia?" He asks, shoving the microphone in my face.

"I guess. I've done my best and I've qualified, so, yeah, I guess I am ready." I answer happily.

"Good," He said. "we'll see you in Sochi." I smile back at him as I walked towards my mother.

"Madeline! You did so well!" My mother squealed. "I'm so proud." I hugged her while she mumbled something about telling her book club. My dad stood behind us with his arms crossed in front of his chest.

"Hey, pops." I smiled. "What'd you think? Still too dangerous for your little girl?"

He smirked slightly and pulled me into a huge embrace. "You've done good, kiddo." The warmth was all I needed at that moment.

"Thanks, pops." A single tear of joy fell down his cheek. That was the moment that made me feel proud. I pulled out of his hug and turned to retrieve my board. As I walked away from my family I heard sneers and whispers. Rumors had already been circulating for a few days.

Rigged. Favorited. Unauthentic. So many things that weren't true. I won because of talent and practice. I earned my spot and no one is going to take it away from me.

"Hey, Olympian!" I heard someone call out from behind me. An all-too-familiar face was standing there behind me. It was Shaun White.

"Hey, man." I greeted him with a handshake. "How are things?"

"Pretty great. I was watching, you know." I looked at him puzzled.

"You never watch me. Not since you and I trained together."

"Well, your mom invited me to watch. If it means anything, your dad wasn't to pleased to see me." He smiled a little. "I gotta catch you later." He placed his warm hand on my shoulder. "See you in Sochi." He winked and ran off in the opposite direction.

"Back home for you. You've gotta pack." My mom walked over to where I was standing. "Nice to see Shaun again, huh?"

"Yea, ma." I smiled at her, still watching Shaun walking in the different direction. "Let's go home." I put my arm around her and my dad as we walked to the car.